The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Shipping live plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: SHHHHH! THEY'RE ASWEEP!| Next thread: shisk kebab »
Back to Thread index
by Sheri&Kiki on March 08, 2005 08:27 AM
Would anyone happen to know of any postal regulations regarding the shipping of live plants? I'm not selling, but would like to share with a fellow gardener who is out of state.
Also, any tips on how to stabilize the plant during the shipping process? Any info greatly appreciated! [wavey]

-
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
by suzydaze on March 08, 2005 04:56 PM
hi Sheri,

call your post office and ask.

as for shipping tips. I've gotten a few live plants in the amil and they came several different ways, but the best looking ones seem to be the ones where people wrap the roots in a damp paper towel and then sandwich baggie over that.

try not to mail on an up coming holiday because your plants will be in the post office over the holiday. And try and make sure who you are sending it to will be there to get it, it's not good for plants to sit in a hot mail box (of course right now it wouldn't be hot, but could be too cold for it)

A box is nice if you can find one the right size, but then a bubble mailer works just as well.

other than that, just ship and hope for the best.

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Elfinone on March 08, 2005 05:12 PM
If you are shipping to extreme cold then use a styro container and use raffia for the padding around the plant, it will keep it warm. If you don't have raffia, then shredded newspaper will do. for the roots I would wet some peat mix and then wrap that in a plastic bag and tie it off with twist tie, not to tight as just in case if it takes longer it will not mold the roots.
Warm weather use regular box but still use the paper or raffia for a good cushion. so it does not get all banged up. I did that once and it worked out pretty good. You just got to be sure the plant is traveling with as less movement as possible.
[Wink]
by Jiffymouse on March 08, 2005 08:18 PM
packing peanuts work well too!
by Sheri&Kiki on March 08, 2005 09:06 PM
Okay, thanks for all the tips! You all have been a great help! Thank you!!! [wayey]

-
by Buglady on March 13, 2005 07:10 AM
You need to look at the plant quarantine laws on National Plant Board

[teacher]

There are many pest problems and there are laws to keep them from spreading. CA, HI and AZ have some of the strictest laws. Also I think you are in FL, that means you are inside the fire ant quarantine zone. There are rules to follow for that too. If you are caught breaking laws there are fines. Also, these laws are put in place to stop the spread of very bad insects and diseases. One example is daylily rust, one person had it and it was shipped out to people, and now the problem is all over.

I don't mean to scare you but I have seen the results of people that break these rules and its impact on the environment.

Also you need to make sure the plant species is not on the invasive species list for the state you are shipping to.

Good luck

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by Sheri&Kiki on March 13, 2005 07:21 AM
Thank you, Buglady, for the site. I've been checking around the FL Dept. of Agriculture, Div. of Plant Industry, and that's what got me to asking questions. I saw the requirements for shipping plants out of state for nurseries, and it occured to me that I better ask! [Big Grin] Thanks again for that piece!

-
by Jiffymouse on September 25, 2005 04:57 AM
fyi! good info!!
by Buglady on September 25, 2005 11:07 AM
most people dont take the time to follow these rules and this is how pest insects and diseases are spreading.

glad you took the time to care [Smile]

-
 -
The Buglady
by njoynit on November 18, 2005 03:24 AM
also if we know what plants....we can help even more!
I've taped plants directly to box to keep from banging around durring shipment.
I also like doing rootballs in the new cling wrap you just press and seal& it really does hold.I've also secured plants in a creamer carton or milk dud carton.
I send priority shipping unless is in-state,then it don't matter anyway cause is useually a 1 day trip anyway.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by Buglady on February 24, 2006 01:24 AM
just watching shipping to CA and AZ they have some of the strictest laws.

Also the mid western states are having some quarantine issues from the emerald ash borer.. and that pest is spreading.

-
 -
The Buglady
by dodge on February 25, 2006 09:26 AM
SHIPPING LIVE PLANTS, EASIER.....
[wavey]
I FIND, USING THE HARD PLASTIC FORMS, THAT SO MANY PRODUCTS COME IN, MAKE GREAT HOLDERS FOR PLANTS......SUCURE THEM IN WITH MASKING TAPE. THEN PUT A PIECE OF CARD BOARD OR SOMETHING STIFF ON TOP AN TAPE IT. INSERT INTO BUBBLY ENVELOPES AND YOU HAVE IT.
[kitty] [kitty]
DODGE

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Deborah L. on March 02, 2006 08:52 AM
Wish me luck, everyone ! I just received a tiny honeysuckle ordered from an online catalog.
It was shipped on a Wednesday, and the poor thing was in a dark box for a week !
I opened it immediately of course, watered it, and put in daylight but not sun. The next day (today) I planted it in a pot. Hope I did everything right.
These companies should ship only on Mondays, so that a plant won't have to sit in a box over the weekend. Or during a holiday.

-
 -
by eclo on July 15, 2006 04:56 PM
I have found that if you order online Friday night or Saturday mornin it normally ships on Monday morn......... most times it only takes a day or so........barring any holidays! [thumb]

See Ya in the Garden!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: SHHHHH! THEY'RE ASWEEP!| Next thread: shisk kebab »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: