The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Seed Sources? Your own flowers??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by RLR on January 02, 2005 09:05 PM
I have tried growing zinnia's, petunias, and Gerbera Daisy's from my own flower seeds in my garden. But with no success. I am a novice gardener, and I don't know what this requires. My goal is to complete a full cycle with the flower, using the dried head to get seeds, and grow more... Any advice? [thinker]

by afgreyparrot on January 03, 2005 12:50 AM
I've never had any problem with zinnias...they just re-seed by themselves every year. I let them turn brown and dry out on the plant before I cut them off to get the seeds out.

Don't know about the petunias and daisies. [dunno]

Cindy

P.S.
Welcome to the forum!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Cricket on January 03, 2005 01:16 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Petunias like lots of sun and water! Deadhead the spent flowers for more blooms and mid-season, when the plant begins to look leggy, prune them for bushier new growth. Don't worry if you think you've pruned too much...they're fast growing and very resilient.

In early autumn, seed pods begin to form - they look sort of like hard, brown buds, which start off closed tightly, but as they mature, begin to open slightly at the top. When the pods are just beginning to open but before they disperse all the seeds, pinch the pods off and shake the contents out onto a piece of white paper. Petunia seeds are black and very tiny, similar to poppy seeds. When the seeds are dry, store them in an airtight container or seed envelope (don't forget to LABEL them!)

Then in the spring, you can sow them directly outdoors or start them inside about 6-8 weeks earlier. Because the seeds are so tiny, I just lightly sprinkle them directly into the soil and lightly tamp them. Petunias don't take long to germinate (can't remember how long though) and are easy to grow. You'll probably need to thin them if you scattered the seed. I hate wasting the seedlings I've thinned, so I just transplant them elsewhere (don't know if this is good gardening practice or not but it works for me).

Two most important things to remember are sun and water! They'll begin to droop quickly if they aren't getting enough water but a good soak usually perks them up in a few hours. Good luck and keep us posted how they do!

P.S. I've never grown zinnias and I only recently have acquired an indoor gerbera daisy which I'll plant outside in the spring (if it's still alive [Embarrassed] ) so can't help you on those!
by duckie on January 03, 2005 01:22 AM
[wayey] Welcome RLR,

like Cindy,I've had all the zinnias i want.Just from the seedheads.Sometimes I don't get all the old blossoms when I deadhead....ewwwww....I hate that term.

Petunias,if memory serves [thinker] need light to germinate.
Here's a link that might be helpful.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/quickref/propagation/seed_germination.html

[flower] duckie

-
 -
by Carly on January 03, 2005 01:35 PM
I started early - I had a clump of alyssum (nice sized one) that was uprooted in the planter outside the library. Might have been the one I tried to turn around when I saw it wasn't growing outwards - guess ya' think I'm kidding, but I'm not. It looked like it had been raised elsewhere, put into the edge of the planter with the blooms facing in toward the centre. I wasn't amused (the queen, heh! heh!) So I dug into it and turned it around.

Around mid-December it was still there - crumbling so I took it home. It was in can with some peat moss I'd saved. I took it out a few days ago, crumbled the whole thing, dead flowers and all and put it in my scrub pot.

It's enjoying a bath every day under a small fluorescent lamp I'm using in the office. An article I read in Canadian Gardening said that's just as good as a grow lamp.

I see there's some bits coming up already so maybe it works.

Oh, I can't wait for spring.

Yes - thanks for that chart. Marvelous!

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by suzydaze on January 03, 2005 07:18 PM
I collect and use my own seeds too, and have not had any problems with several different kinds of flowers.

Zinna's do have to be very dry for the seeds to be collected. I was told to let them died and dry on the stem, if you collect too soon your seeds will not be good.

I try and collect most of my seeds even on my re seeding plants because I have water stand in my yard in the winter time and some seeds will not live if they stand in water all winter.

Duckie, I'm with you I hate the term "deadhead" [gabby]

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Bestofour on March 21, 2005 02:16 AM
Wonder if you're planting your seeds too deep. Just scratch the dirt and throw them down. You can either wet the dirt first so they will stick or pat them in with your foot. Only problem with patting is that they will stick to your shoe.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by tcmers on September 29, 2005 07:47 AM
Gerberas can be difficult to grow from seed. I just sprinkle a whole bunch of seeds in a tray, rough up the dirt, and water generously. Seems to work pretty well. If the seeds don't germinate after 20 days.....start over. I've had some germinate as early as 7 days, and some as late as 14. Once they had about 4 leaves, I transplanted to individual trays.
Remember that it takes 6 months for the plants to mature enough to produce flowers. (Hense the question in the thread I started earlier. [Wink] )
Good luck and let us know how they turn out!
by bibee on July 08, 2006 01:57 AM
what about the blazing star. when how & where do you get the seeds

Angela

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/bibee1990/
by Jiffymouse on October 17, 2006 12:15 PM
[thumb]
by Jiffymouse on November 15, 2006 01:59 AM
[clappy]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: