The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

looking for a cilantro guru

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by lakegran on July 06, 2006 09:28 AM
Help!!!!! [wavey]
I am trying to figure out how to get enough cilantro to last through the pepper/mater season. I have planted 3 times and have had some success, however, I go through what growing long before the new stuff gets big enough to harvest, and I have been spending about 3 times more on seed than I would just buying by the bunch from the grocer [dunno]
Part 2 My usual seed sources have dried up. All the seeds ( burpee etc.) have been pulled from the menards/ walmart type stores and now my favorite little greenhouse has closed for the season. I would like to buy online and would love to find a source that ships quickly, and sells dependable seed for a bulk price

-
by MrClint on July 06, 2006 05:16 PM
I'm not a cilantro guru, nor do I play one on TV, but I've found that keeping cilantro going is a bit like being on a treadmill. You have to keep sizeable amounts going in succession. Cilantro will bolt without notice. It's too much for me and my small plot garden to keep the supply going, so I've thrown in the towel. I buy big bunches at the market and keep it going similar to cut flowers in a vase on the counter. It keeps pretty well this way.

Here locally the ferry-morse brand of seed is everywhere -- even in the supermarkets! If you go to their website you can type in your zip code and locate a retailer near you. Good luck!

According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.
by obywan59 on July 07, 2006 07:19 AM
Cilantro sets seed prolifically. I like to save a bunch, then I have plenty of fresh seed to plant. Cilantro also self seeds, I generally have dozens of plants that come up voluntarily in my herb bed in spring.

Mr. Clint, how long does the cilantro last in water? I think I'm going to try that. [thumb]

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by lakegran on July 07, 2006 08:26 AM
I love the treadmill analogy, I have been feeling pretty much that way [Wink]
I too will try the water method. I can make 3 batches of salsa from one bunch of cilantro, but it goes south on me in the fridge by the time I make that 3rd one.
My garden is only 12 X 14 with other little patches tucked into the yard and on my deck.
So I guess I have found that spot to put in a row of runner beans to harvest in the fall. Thanks for he good info. [muggs]

-
by lakegran on July 07, 2006 08:33 AM
obywan
How much sun does the cilantro need? I have a little 2 X 14 ft. space next to a storage shed that gets sun about 1/2 day (early) would you think that it is worth trying to plant that late in the summer so it will reseed for spring? Also is cilantro seed coriander?

-
by MrClint on July 07, 2006 09:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by obywan59:
Mr. Clint, how long does the cilantro last in water? I think I'm going to try that. [thumb]
You know, I've never really thought to push the limits. I typically use it all up within a few days. If you really needed to go beyond a few days, consider placing the vase with the cilantro in it in the fridge and or place a plastic bag "bubble" around the whole thing. Anything is going to be better than leaving them in a bunch in the fridge. They tend to turn to mush in very short order that way.

According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.
by ChristinaC on July 07, 2006 02:28 PM
Lakegran,
I think the cilantro will do fine with sun for just half the day. Cilantro does love the sun but I trust you shouldn't have any problems. I have herbs spread out all over my yard..in my garden, in my flower beds, in pots...whereever I can find the room.
And as far as buying more seed, why not let one plant go to seed and just use those to regrow?
Oh..and yes, cilantro seed is called coriander.

Christina
P.S. If you aren't able to harvest any seeds and are still unable to find any, just PM me and I'll send you some of mine...you're not too far away from me at all...good luck!

-
 -
by chenno on July 07, 2006 02:35 PM
I have cilantro..and not fond of it..my mom took what she needed, but it is huge...if you tell me how to get the seeds etc...sorry do not no!
I would be happy to send?
let me know...not to good at the seeding thing, have a ton of herbs, if I knew the seeding format, I would be good to go...Guess that is why I am here
:-)
Angie

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by lakegran on July 10, 2006 10:38 PM
Thanks for the offer of seeds and the information regarding growing cilantro. I have 2 containers on my deck with this yummy stuff and a little patch in my garden I think I will let one or two of the deck plants go to seed and that should give me all I will use, next year I will try alternating smallish patches, with saved seed.
Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge and your precious seed. I hope to do the same with some of mine this fall. [kissies]
Jo

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: