The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Some pics from this weekend

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by johnCT on July 06, 2006 07:14 AM
Latest view of my tomato beds...

-
 -

Silvery Fir Tree...

-

Not a very good pic of Black Cherry...

-

and a couple pics of Kimberly fruit which has still yet to ripen me my first fruit of the season...

-
 -

John - Zone 6
by eClaire on July 06, 2006 08:06 AM
they all look so healthy!! what soil medium are they planted in?? my tomatoes are pathetic, i think its the soil and drainage.

nice pics!

Claire
by cookinmom on July 06, 2006 09:43 AM
Great pics John!
They look so good.
I know you must be proud.
[Wink]

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by lakegran on July 06, 2006 09:49 AM
Your plants look awesome, Did you make your own cages? I have four like that, but mine could be a little taller, Looks like you have really made the most of your growing space. I keep trying to find more spots to tuck plants into.

-
by badplanter on July 06, 2006 01:51 PM
plants look very healthy and like, really amazing--good luck with them-- i'm very jealous!!!

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by Danno on July 06, 2006 02:19 PM
hgehehe you making cement pillars when your done growing? [muggs]
by johnCT on July 07, 2006 12:58 AM
Thanks all.

quote:
Originally posted by eClaire:
they all look so healthy!! what soil medium are they planted in??
Some are in my main garden with the native soil that I've amended for years. The raised tomato beds have a couple truckloads of rich, black topsoil that I picked up and the containers have a blend of Pro-mix, my own screened compost and bagged dehydrated cow manure. A nice light, well draining rich mix. Probably too well draining as I noticed BER on my largest fruit on Citron Compact planted in one of the containers. [Mad] With all the rain we've had, I haven't really watered a thing. Claire, just remember to amend, amend, amend your soil with organic material. There's nothing better you can do for your plants.

quote:
Originally posted by lakegran:
Did you make your own cages?
Yes, check out the topic in this forum on tomato cages...probably on the second page by now.
by loz on July 07, 2006 01:05 AM
Wow, what a nice veggie garden you have there John! It looks so nice with the raised beds. [thumb] [grin] You're going to have tons of great toms to eat!

I need to stake up a few of mine today that got knocked over when it was storming yesterday. This was the reminder I need to get out there and get it done.
by MrClint on July 07, 2006 08:58 AM
Nice setup and good looking tomatoes! You're in for some good eatin' soon. [Smile]

Here's a pic of my Champion hybrid, which is typically a medium sized main crop tomato, that is actually bringing forth beefsteak sized tomatoes:
 -

According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.
by lakegran on July 07, 2006 09:55 AM
Those pics are making my mouth water!!!!!!!!

-
by ChristinaC on July 07, 2006 02:31 PM
Hey..how'd I miss this?!
Looks great John!!! I'm a wee bit jealous but I'll get over it. [Wink] Keep the pics coming! [thumb]

Christina

-
 -
by johnCT on July 08, 2006 12:51 AM
Thanks guys. Well, this should be the weekend I get my first ripe tomato! That largest kimberly fruit in the picture with my hand is FINALLY ripening and should be ready in the next couple days I would guess. [clappy] [clappy] [muggs] [muggs]

John - Zone 6
by johnCT on July 12, 2006 12:47 AM
Another pic of my tomato bed. It's a large pic so I'll link to it...

click here

...and an almost ripe Kimberly...

-

John - Zone 6
by ChristinaC on July 12, 2006 12:58 AM
Fantastic John! My plants are loaded with tomatoes but none are even being close to being ripe and they are so crowded together in my garden...I have GOT to expand my garden in the Fall to be ready for next year.

So what's on the menu with your first tomato? BLT??

-
 -
by penny in ontario on July 12, 2006 01:49 AM
Great looking garden John!!

Thanks for sharing [thumb]

-
 -

-
by johnCT on July 12, 2006 01:54 AM
Thanks guys. LOL, no that tomato's a bit small for a BLT, but a litle salt and pepper and my first "heirloom" mater will make up for the small size. It's probably only a little larger than a golf ball.

Christina, you're gonna need more room for MORE tomatoes next season. [thumb] [muggs]

John - Zone 6
by Stuspot on July 12, 2006 02:45 AM
John, you are an inspiration. Look at all those tomatoes!! I can see you are really a tomato nut. [grin] I'm sure I could learn a lot from you.

Very nice, and I think this weekend is when I'll have my first ripe one too. [flower]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: