The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ok I am so lost! Hay and straw question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Firstyeargardener2006 on July 05, 2006 11:04 AM
I have been searching the net about using hay for next year, but I did not know there were so many kinds of hay from horse, Alfa, cow etc..... I am trying to plan this for next year since how I really do not have the time to do it so last minute. Like I did this year which was all wrong.

So if anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it.

Thank you very much in advance,
Nicky

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.
by DeeLuzon on July 05, 2006 01:30 PM
hay is likely to have seeds in it (which will sprout and you'll need to weed); i've had better luck with straw which i now buy bagged as "shredded straw" instead of by the bale. it's pricier, but i prefer the "shredded" aspect of it.

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
- Oscar Wilde
by Deborah L. on July 05, 2006 01:54 PM
Anyone heard of salt hay? What is it, seaweed?

-
 -
by johnCT on July 06, 2006 12:21 AM
You want straw....not hay. Hay is loaded with weed seeds. My local Agway has bales of both for sale.

John - Zone 6
by elkwc36 on July 06, 2006 12:29 AM
Hi. Just another personal decision. If you get clean hay or straw you won't have any trouble imo. I've used both for several years(40). Used lots of grass hay this year with no problems. It matters how the hay is put up and when they cut it. The same with straw. I got some straw several years ago full of weeds. So make sure it is clean and if hay that it was cut before it went to seed. And clean alfalfa will always work with no trouble. Just my humble opinion. JD
by Longy on July 06, 2006 02:07 AM
I use whatever i can source locally. Be it hay (usually most available and cheapest) sugarcane trash or just raking slashed paddocks of grass. Sure, there are some seeds in it but they don't give me a problem. Depends on the weeds i guess but i don't have too many.. Sometimes the blady grass i get has thistle in it and that's a pain, though easily dealt with. My advice is to get whatever is a cheap and available.

Good for you planning your vegies for next year. You've obviously learned some valuable lessons this first year. I suggest you put your energy into understanding and improving the soil. Ultimately, that's where success lies.

So will you change your handle next year?

-
The secret is the soil.
by Firstyeargardener2006 on July 09, 2006 11:51 AM
Thank you,

I had to get hay since how I could not track down any straw out here. Strange since how ever one tells me there should be several places that sell the stuff. I call over 50 stores no luck. I went the cheaper way since how I could not find straw. Thank you again.

Guess what Longy and everyone My watermelons are finally growing.
Thank you,
Nicky

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: