The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

HUGE zucchinni causing bed problem...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Huge snake plant| Next thread: Humidity »
Back to Thread index
by chrissy fair on June 25, 2006 07:16 AM
I have a question about zucchinni,
I started my FIRST garden a few months ago from seeds. They are doing very well, almost TOO well...I have a raised garden bed my hubby build for me that is 8 feet long and 3 1/2 feet wide filled with compost and good top soil mixed with the clay we have for dirt around here. The problem I seem to be having is I misjudged the SIZE of this thing...it's HUGE!! I have green beans in the back on a trellis, beef steak tomatos on each side in the corners along the back, then in one corner twards the front I have sugar baby watermelon (one plant), and lettuce on the oppisite corner. In the very middle I planted 3 zucchinni seeds and this thing has taken over, it over shadows the lettuse and also the green beans which has beans already. The zucchinni has the flower buds on it and my hubby keeps telling me to transplant it into a second raised bed he build 2 weeks ago. Will I kill it if I do this in such a late date with buds on the plant??
by peppereater on June 25, 2006 07:27 AM
I wouldn't try to move it. You might see if you can train it somewhat, maybe even make a trellis with string or something and let it grow up instead of out. It may not matter about the lettuce, lettuce gets inedible once the temps get high.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Rosepetal on June 25, 2006 09:45 AM
If you do transplant you'll set it back quite a bit. I did mine once they were in the flowering stage and I set them back at least a few weeks. They're finally starting to bloom and grow fruit again.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by chrissy fair on June 25, 2006 10:34 AM
thanks, I think I'll transplant one (I have 3 growing) and leave the other 2, see how they all do as an experiment;)
Thanks for the heads up that I might be setting them back.
by Amigatec on June 25, 2006 10:39 AM
I could use one, mine died.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by chrissy fair on June 25, 2006 12:07 PM
Here is a picture of my raised garden bed and WHAT the Zucc is doing....lol.
It's my own site I pay for so I think it's ok to post the url for the picture:

http://www.lyncs.net/images/GardenSeason1RaisedBed2.jpg

And the link to the page itself, I'll be adding more pictures as my garden grows...lol
by chrissy fair on June 25, 2006 12:08 PM
http://www.lyncs.net/Hobbies.htm

opps...forgot that....
by Amigatec on June 25, 2006 12:31 PM
I wish I could grow one that size!!!

I didn't relieze your little garden was that small.

I planted 3 Squash the first year and was stepping all over it.

I had more than I could eat, but the last 2 years I can't grow it.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by Deborah L. on June 25, 2006 02:59 PM
Chrissy, the raised beds are just beautiful, exactly the kind I've always dreamed of.
Can you train the zukes to go up the fence somehow?

-
 -
by weezie13 on June 25, 2006 03:34 PM
Hi Chrissy, love your raised bed..
Very nice lookin'.....

Next year, have hubby make you a few more beds like that.... *about say 5 more* if thats' what you like to grow.. and stick one of each in each bed...
The one bed could hold 4 Tomato plants..
Another one could hold one set of 3 hilled zucchini...
Another one could hold the watermelon..
Another one could hold the green beans, lettuce and maybe some onions, radishes, and some Peas up a trellis/fencing..

And especially learn some things about "COMPANION PLANTING"..
That will help you alot with a smaller bed/large itemed veggie plants...

And another GREAT BOOK to get is
Mel Bartholomew's "SQUARE FOOT GARDENING".......
Excellant book on how to space certain plants, companion planting and how to time crops...
w/succession plantings..
You won't regret getting that book at all...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by chrissy fair on June 25, 2006 06:06 PM
thank you weezie, I'll look into getting those books. I need alittle help here with my garden, and am trying to have a go at it from scratch, not knowing much to start with being a city girl pretty much my whole life. So far in the two days I've visited here, it's been a GREAT help!!
by weezie13 on June 27, 2006 02:41 AM
Well, you've got a great lil'garden there for supposedly not knowing much..
You've done very good...
And remember, not to give up...
And that you'll learn something new every year, even if you've gardened for 40 years you'll still be learning every season....

And those are just two books, there's seed starting ones, and canning and root cellars, and so much more..

And you'd be suprised just howwwwwwwwww muchhhhh information is in any and all your FREE gardening catalogs you can get in the mail from mail order catalogs... so many tidbits of info jammed packed in them... like growing conditions and sun, etc.. and great pictures to dream on too.

And if you grab a cuppa something and nestle into the computer, checking up on our Archives, you'll be there for days on end with all the great info, gardening tricks and yard art and garage sale finds and ideas..
*not to mention just about every and any other subject you can think of, is here..*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by chrissy fair on June 27, 2006 03:44 PM
I have found that your right, I have already started going through the arcives and have only hit on acouple of them so far, but there are SO many more to read!! My husband said I'm addicted to this forum...lol...I guess I am! I love it here!
by cookinmom on June 28, 2006 02:28 PM
Meeee Toooo!
[grin]

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Huge snake plant| Next thread: Humidity »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: