The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Already Seeded...Getting Impatient

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by fescuebaby on July 11, 2005 06:08 AM
Hi all! I am a new home owner and recently seeded our ground with a blend of grasses recommended to us by a local garden shop. The seed is high quality, we are watering frequently in short 5 minute segments approximately 4 times in a 12 hour period. I prepared the ground by tilling with a hoe, raking, and pulling up all weeds by the roots. So what's the problem? Well, we seeded in June and it seems like the lawn is still so sparse. We did not seed it in various directions nor did we lightly cover up the seed as I now know we were supposed to. Does this mean we failed, or is it possible it is just taking longer than I expected? Any help or advice would be fantastic! Thanks!
by phoenix on July 11, 2005 10:42 PM
quote:
nor did we lightly cover up the seed
[wayey] fescuebaby,
the possible resulting problems from not covering up the seed could be: blown away by the wind/breeze or eaten by birds and mice and such.
has there been any growth at all? you may want to re-seed some. i'm not the best to offer advice on lawn care but i hope this hels some [Wink]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by BFVISION on July 17, 2005 03:04 AM
Fescuebaby
That is an appropriate name. I agree on the washing or wafting away on the seed. It will take a couple of attempts to fully reach the desired look. I still spot seed myself. If there has been any crab grass killer laid in the ground that to will inhibit new growth. Fall is best time to plant.

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest
by RBT on December 31, 2005 05:41 AM
I HAVE RED CLAY SOIL AND CAN'T GROW GRASS,IT COMES UP IN PATCHES BUT NOT IN A NICE FULL LAWN,CAN ANYONE SUGGEST SOLUTION?? FERTILIZE HEAVY?? THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: