The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How to get rid of weeds?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Onion on June 12, 2005 08:58 AM
Hello,
I am definitely a new gardener. That's why I am here to learn and ask for your kind help.
I just moved into a house with a reasonable size garden. However, it is full of weeds which I just identified.
According to the Gardening Calender, it seems not too late to re-seed the lawn. Can I do it this month or I need to wait until next year? If I can do it, what shall I do step by step? How can I get rid of all the weeds?
FYI, the temperature in NY is around 80 right now and humid.
Thanks a lot!
by tkhooper on June 12, 2005 02:50 PM
First thing I learned when I got here was how important the soil is to the garden. Take your time and prepare the soil correctly you'll be rewarded by the garden & lawn that you get!!!! Wish I had known that.

For your flower beds, do the raised beds they look great and the fertilizing raising process kills the weeds for you and it is ready to plant in 6 weeks. Which if you use starter plants this year rather than seeds still gives you plenty of blooms up until frost. There is a vinegar, salt, dishsoap weedkiller recipe that works but I've been cautioned not to use it for widespread weeds because the salt could cause the soil not to support any plants at all. Depending on the amount of weeds in your lawn maybe one of those weed and seed products? Well I'll leave that for someone who knows more than I do. The site is closing at 8:00 p.m. tonight but it will be comming back better than ever so be patient and don't be too anxious to plant. Amending soil after something is planted is a lot harder than doing it before. Even if it means you have to wait.

-
 -
by BFVISION on June 12, 2005 04:08 PM
Onion,
I live in a similar area of Northern Jersey, welcome to the neighborhood and the Garden Helper. I moved here three years ago in July and had almost no grass but a beautiful dandelion [devil] ,clover, crab grass [devil] lawn. Having moved from a great lawn on Long Island [thumb] , I was eager to get started. Weed and feed now, wait till fall for seed because the seed will burn [nutz] . Depending on the extent of the weeds, you can till it in fall (or spring) and seed, till it in fall and sod, till it and cut in beds with mulch (less mowing [Love] ). I was able to work through the weeds without tilling by seeding in fall and spring after getting a grip on the weeds. You may want to call a few lawn care experts [gabby] in for advice and then make a decision on what you feel comfortable doing yourself. I always put on sprinklers because the weeds will thrive in drought conditions. I would always do sprinklers before I sodded.

Good Luck

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest
by The Plant Doc on June 18, 2005 07:55 PM
HI Onion,
I am NY transplant myself. I moved away about 6 years ago, out to Cheeseland.

It is not too late to start your lawn, it is actually too early in my mind. Starting a lawn and going into the summer can be very difficult, as you have a lot of things going against you, the heat and lack of natural water being the 2 biggest. Also not to forget the crab grass which you will get if you plant your lawn now. I would rather wait until later in the summer or early fall, when the temps moderate and rain will be more likely. The delicate new little grass plants will stand a much better chance at surviving!

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by The Plant Doc on June 18, 2005 07:57 PM
Whoops I forgot to mention the weed part.

I am the type who uses chemicals to reduce sweat. Othro has quite a few good products,and one of them is called Weed b Gone, follow the directions on the lable and you can apply this directly over the lawn, and it will not harm the grass.

Have a good one!

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Celena0056 on August 16, 2005 11:09 PM
I don't know about you guys nut here in Idaho Falls, (you're probably wondering where that is) we do things the old-fashioned way. We weed and feed and then our parents bribe us to go pick weeds and then they say, hey you could use a tan go pick weeds. It's not fun also it's time consuming,but it works.
~Celena

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: