The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rhodos

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: rhododhendron propogation| Next thread: Rhody trying to bloom! »
Back to Thread index
by JAC on May 17, 2004 07:51 PM
I have about 5 rhodos and most of them have about 85% brown dried up leaves. However, there are some blooms actually happening. I am not sure what to do ? I am new to gardening. Are they dead ? We haven't done a spring clean up yet, so the mulch is left over from last fall. Any help ?
by Janet R. on May 18, 2004 09:30 PM
Hi! I'm fairly new, too, but here's what I would do: if there are any blooms, you probably should hold off cutting it back until it finishes blooming. In NJ, that might be by the end of June, depending on the variety. When it's done, cut back anything that looks dead. They like cool, moist environments with partial shade. Also, try this website: http://www.rhododendron.org/ Good luck!

~ Janet
by obywan59 on May 19, 2004 07:40 AM
I have a rhododendron that has a lot of leaves that died over winter also. Now, however, it is shooting out lots of new growth below the browned leaves. I intend to trim all the dead of to just above the new growth.

I've seen lots of dieback over the past winter. I think it was due to the overly wet weather we had last year.

-
Terry

May the force be with you

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: rhododhendron propogation| Next thread: Rhody trying to bloom! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: