The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My raised bed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: My problem....| Next thread: My Rose Mallows »
Back to Thread index
by ChristinaC on June 15, 2006 12:44 PM
Here's my raised tomato bed. It doesn't even compare to what JohnCT has! Infront of my tomatoes are marigolds. To the left of the bed you can see part of my garden. I didn't wanna' post an entire pic of my garden because I've neglected the weeding lately. [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed] You can see my brussel sprouts growing strong. I have 10 more tomato plants among many other things planted in there. I have 6 more tomato plants that aren't planted because I ran out of room. I'm going to see if my neighbour wants them, if not, I'll plant them in 5 gallon pails. I'd like to build more raised beds for the years to come...gotta' compete with John. [thumb] [Wink] [Big Grin]

-

Here's my entire garden. The chicken wire was recently put up to keep my new puppy out. It certainly doesn't look the greatest but it's working. [clappy]

-

-
 -
by weezie13 on June 15, 2006 01:54 PM
That chicken wire looks great..

To gardeners, any fence to keep anything out
is a GOOD THING!!

That bed looks veryyyyyyy nice Christina...

quote:
I'd like to build more raised beds for the years to come...gotta' compete with John.
And here, I thought you were going to say my raised beds... [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Wink] [tongue] [kissies]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by ChristinaC on June 15, 2006 02:10 PM
quote:
And here, I thought you were going to say my raised beds
Well...realistically...for me to have beds like yours is pretty much a dream. Atleast with John, I have some hope of a contest...plus I just wanted to tease him..he's fun to tease. [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Rosepetal on June 15, 2006 03:40 PM
Nice job, Christina.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by peppereater on June 15, 2006 03:45 PM
Christina, you'd better hope John doesn't see this! [Big Grin]
I think your garden looks terrific. [thumb]
Thanks for posting.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Deborah L. on June 15, 2006 04:03 PM
I love the raised bed, Christina ! [thumb]
I want raised beds soooooooooo much !

-
 -
by patches1414 on June 15, 2006 06:40 PM
Really nice raised bed Christina! [thumb] I have a raised bed for some of my flowers, but I'm thinking of starting another one so I can plant some veggies next year. [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by johnCT on June 16, 2006 12:44 AM
That is a fine looking garden Christina. The soil looks nice and BLACK! Better than mine for sure. And we can only daydream about having the sort of planting beds that weezie does! [Smile] New puppy? Where are the baby pics?

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on June 16, 2006 12:55 AM
Yeah, but both of your gardens are wayyyyyyyyyy
ahead of mine.... [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [dunno]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by ChristinaC on June 16, 2006 02:24 AM
quote:
New puppy? Where are the baby pics?

Why she's right here. [thumb]

Willy

That bed was just built mid May, just in time to put my tomatoes in. My brother works on the railroads and he can get all the used railroad ties he wants. Of course you really have to pick them over to find the cleanest ones. And are they ever heavy!! I was pretty much useless the day it was built. I just watched...I was the foreman. [thumb]

After reading all the threads about the different tomatoes John, Peppereater and Matorsandwich are growing, I'm thinking next year to definitely try some new varieties. I'll be in touch with you John. [thumb]

-
 -
by johnCT on June 16, 2006 02:35 AM
Wow, she is adorable. How does she get along with your other dog?

I'd be happy to share. I've got over 100 varieties of seed now and I'll have more after this season! [nutz] [critic]

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on June 16, 2006 02:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by johnCT:
I've got over 100 varieties of seed now and I'll have more after this season! [nutz] [critic]
Whaaat? [nutz] [Big Grin]

-
Dave
by peppereater on June 16, 2006 02:51 AM
Wow, Christina, that's a great pic. I'm sure she's lots of "help!" [Big Grin]

-
Dave
by johnCT on June 16, 2006 03:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by peppereater:
Whaaat? [nutz] [Big Grin]
Are you calling me crazy?! LOL, you wouldn't be the first. My wife and MIL do too.

Do you have any idea how hard it was to only pick 35 to grow out of....I'm sorry, I just checked my spreadsheet....It's only 96.... [critic] I was close.....Now what was that about being nutz again? I need more raised beds... [dunno]

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on June 16, 2006 03:06 AM
You better get hammerin' John.... [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by peppereater on June 16, 2006 03:25 AM
I'd like to have 100 plants next year. I'm not crazy. [nutz] [shocked] [grin]
I son't think I want to keep track of more than about 25 varieties, though. Maybe 30. [Big Grin]

-
Dave
by patches1414 on June 16, 2006 05:17 AM
Boy, those railroads ties really make a nice bed! [thumb] I've never seen any used ones that are in such great shape. I had some along my driveway many, many years ago and they didn't look anything like that!

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by weezie13 on June 16, 2006 05:23 AM
Ahhhhhhh Christina,
Are those railroad ties????????
I didn't think they were when I first looked at it, but not totally sure now???

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by patches1414 on June 16, 2006 06:09 AM
quote:
Weezie, I didn't realize they were railroad ties either [dunno] when I first saw them because they were so clean and new looking, but since she said they were I had to go back and take a second look at them! They are beautiful and make a lovely bed! I know we don't have any around here that look that good. [Frown]

-
 -
by weezie13 on June 16, 2006 06:14 AM
I'm hopin' they're not...

They look like a certain sized block of
wood, and then stained...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by patches1414 on June 16, 2006 06:27 AM
quote:
I'm hopin' they're not...

Those were my thoughts too Weezie!!! [scaredy] [Frown] I was warned about them when I got mine years ago, but I didn't think it would be a problem because all they touched were concrete and grass. I didn't worry about it since the grass wasn't anything to write home about and was pretty pathetic looking anyway. [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

-
 -
by johnCT on June 16, 2006 06:52 AM
Creosote

John - Zone 6
by patches1414 on June 16, 2006 07:55 AM
John, that's exactly what I was concerned about too since I remember being told about the dangers of creosote a long time ago, but I thought maybe they had different methods of treating them now. [dunno] I didn't know. Evidently, judging from your link to the article nothing has changed in all these years. [Frown]

It is definitely a safety issue if you are using them for a bed where you are growing vegetables or anything to eat since it appears they are still being treated with creosote. [scaredy] Plus, you also have to be concerned about the harm it can do to any animals you have around, and she has a new puppy. [Frown]

-
 -
by ChristinaC on June 16, 2006 12:01 PM
quote:
Of course they're railroad ties and they're used. [shocked]
Now don't you people worry about me..I know all about creosote. They're lined with plywood. [thumb] It would take years to leak through the plywood! Believe you me...I know!

-
 -
by markr on June 16, 2006 01:11 PM
sprouts look good christina [thumb]

-
Mark
by markr on June 16, 2006 01:53 PM
My dad used to use creosote on his fences!
and he used to grow his tomatoes up them, im still here and he's still here [Wink]
and did we eat fried toms,,,,

-
Mark

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My problem....| Next thread: My Rose Mallows »
Back to Thread index