The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bringing plants idoors for the winter

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Bringing in the impatiens| Next thread: Bristol BEAUTY Weigela »
Back to Thread index
by K Grant on October 09, 2005 02:50 AM
I'm getting ready to bring my bird of paridise in for the winter but it has small ants on the blooms. What is the best wat to get rid of the ants and other insects without hurting the blooms on the plant before I bring it indoors.

Kurt Grant
PS I live in Indianapolis, In.
by The Plant Doc on October 15, 2005 08:25 PM
Use a sun tea made from ciggerette butts, I know it sounds horrible but ants hate nicotine and will leave the plant in droves. It also acts a light fertilizer as well.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by The Plant Doc on October 15, 2005 08:25 PM
Oh yeah do it before bringing your plant inside of course

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Patty S on October 16, 2005 09:42 AM
I didn't know that nicotine is an ant repellent! Next to my son's porch there's an old coffee tin that's used as a butt can, cuz they don't allow smoking in the house. When it rains & water builds up in the can, it starts looking pretty rank... nice to know that there's actually a use for it!
Now, would a person use the "tea" in a spray bottle, or just pour it on the ground under the plant, to get rid of ants? I have a couple flower beds where there always seems to be ants & I'd love to drive them out of there, but hate to use commercial sprays around my plants. (Are there certain plants that nicotine tea would be harmful to?)

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bringing in the impatiens| Next thread: Bristol BEAUTY Weigela »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: