The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help! Watering fruit trees question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by jfredt on June 14, 2006 06:47 AM
I need input please. I have a meyers lemon, mexican lime, navel orange, red banana, sumsota mandarin and two don gillogly avocados. We are in the heat in Texas- days are 100 degrees and nights are high 70's. Everything I read tells me not to water my citrus more than once a week or less. My trees are in well drained planting mix and compost with a little sand mixed in with them. My pots are about 18" square and about 16-18" deep. The trees are one year olds. I bought a moisture meter and every evening the plants are showing dry on the meter. I have run the probe in deep and shallow and it still registers a 2 (with 4 being the wettest). I have been watering every day since the plants are in full sun for about 7-8 hours a day. My plants look fine but i worry about the possibly of root rot from to much water. I am new to citrus and would appreciate all replies so that I can draw from your wisdom. Thanks in advance for your help.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: