The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How do you move lily-of-the-valley?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by lilylover on May 16, 2004 01:36 PM
Hello Folks! I am wild about flowers but no absolutely nothing about gardening. I just bought my first home and I finally have a place to plant my beloved lily-of-the-valley! My sister, who lives in Northeast PA, has some gorgeous pink ones which she has cultivated for me over the years. We'd like to move some to my home in Maryland. What should we do, and when??

P.S. I carried these in my wedding boquet last May - it would be so great to have them in my garden [Smile]
by Chrissy on May 16, 2004 03:05 PM
I just moved a huge amount of mine. All I did was wait till after a rain so the ground was soft, took my hand shovel & gently dug down around the runners & pulled them free. Of course I had to cut the root between some of the plants, couldn't get them all in one piece, but they seem no worse for the ware. I have them replanted & they are doing fine.

-
 -
z5b
by weezie13 on May 16, 2004 05:36 PM
Hi Lilylover, [wayey]
Lilies of the valleys are quite hardy,
Chrissy hit it right on the head.

Take the whole shovel full and replant where you want or wash off all the dirt *in case there's weeds or something in between them* and replant at same level they came out...

I have a ba~zillion of the white ones, and can't ever get enough of them, I'm letting them creep into my front lawn a bit and it's driving my husband mad, well, sort of! But what a great smell!

We'd had a conversation here a while ago, someone was looking where to get some from??? I can't remember who posted it, Pots~n~Plants *Lynne* maybe???
I'll bet those are gorgeous!

Weezie

P.S. We have alot of member's from your state, our own Forum Hostess Loz is from there, and so is Newt and a few other's too. Glad to have you here!

And keep us posted on your plants when you move them, we love to hear about follow ups and how the plants are doing!!! [Cool] [clappy] [thumb]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by plants 'n pots on May 16, 2004 06:09 PM
Once again, Weezie, I am sooooooo impressed!!!

It was, indeed, I who was looking for the pink lily of the valley! I have only seen it in one store somewhat near here and they wanted $8 for one pip!!! Not do-able this year - I really have to watch my plant budget this time around...

Lilylover... I too, have moved these - from a scorching area where the previous owners of my house put them [tongue] , to under a huge red maple tree, during the summer. You have been given great advice. [thumb] Just be sure to water them in well after planting.

Enjoy!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: