The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cherokee Purple Tomato

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by JV on June 13, 2006 06:39 AM
Here is two shot of my Cherokee Purple Tomato .
 -
Notice it split open.
 - . Just had to stack another 4 foot rack on top of the one I already had around it. Talk about fun. [Frown]

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by johnCT on June 13, 2006 06:48 AM
I'm growing that one too. It has a blossom on it already also. So how did it taste????? [Frown]

John - Zone 6
by JV on June 13, 2006 07:20 AM
John has a deep very rich taste. I love the BeefSteak but I think this one has it beat by a mile. I planted mine in late Feb. early March like I said just stacked another cage on top of the one it was in. So get ready for tall plants. Wish I had bought more then one now will save the seeds and try next year to have a bunch if they will germinate..

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by angelblossom on June 13, 2006 11:35 AM
OOOOOO Jimmy!! I love the beefsteak too but have never tasted these!! My beef steak are just now blooming.. nothing yet But I do have bush tomatoes producing.
do cherokee tomatoes generally get that tall, or is it because you just know what your doing and your tomatos are lovin it~ [thumb] [clappy] [grin]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by JV on June 13, 2006 12:02 PM
Diane this is that little 2 inch tomato plant I got when we were at Calloways in February or March I can't remember exactly. I planted it in the ground put a steel cage around it and watered it everyday gave liquid fertilizer twice set back and watched it grow and grow today I put another cage on top of the original one and wired them together. I can't beleive this thing but next year will buy at least three of these $1.95 or whatever it was well spent. Looking for Jack get him off that beanstalk an on this tomato plant. [Big Grin] I have been eating Beefstake for two weeks as well as the Roma you gave me. Cleaned them off and more fruit on so guess I will give some to my neighbor woman that keeps me in Tortilla's . [Big Grin]

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by angelblossom on June 13, 2006 01:14 PM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]  -
 - [Frown] [Roll Eyes] [lala]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by Firstyeargardener2006 on June 13, 2006 01:44 PM
Jv,

Your tomato's look very nice. I have never heard nor seen a purple tomato. I love this site without it I would have never known aboout all these different kinds. I only thought there was only 3 kinds regular, roma, and cherry. I was wondering how big do most tomato plants get? Mine seems to be needing a new wire or a good metal stack up.

Thank you,
Nicky

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.
by JV on June 13, 2006 01:49 PM
Firstyeargardener2006 I have no idea how many kind there are but there is a big bunch of them and new ones coming out yearly. I have this Cherokee Purple a Roma Angelblossom gave me one Beef Stake and two Mr. Strippey they all have cages around them. You can go to my photobucket and see photo's of what I have. Make sure yours get enough support to hold them up. Glad you like this one. BTW it has a great taste. [thumb]

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by johnCT on June 13, 2006 02:27 PM
Nicky, tomatoes come in almost every color in the rainbow LOL! Red, pink, black, purple, yellow, orange, white, gold, green, bicolor, striped, etc! And I can't wait to try them all! [shocked] [nutz]

John - Zone 6
by mater sandwich on June 14, 2006 04:45 PM
Great to see the Purple Cherokee tomato. I have 3 plants growing that are around 5 feet tall. They have some fruit set but it will be a while until they ripen. In the meantime I'll just drool when I'm in the garden. [Big Grin]

Some days there is more laughter than others....Just depends on what/who you focus on....

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: