The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Please ID pest

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by RumBum on September 20, 2005 10:33 AM
These are covering my hibiscus. I have tried Fungicide3 and Raid Home & Garden which are supposed to kill multiple types of pests. Both treatments I used for 2 weeks daily but the buggers keep coming back. I have stopped the chemicals due to yellowing leaves.
 -
 -
Thanks for your help!
by RugbyHukr on September 20, 2005 10:59 PM
aphids

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Pesticus on September 21, 2005 02:13 AM
Difficult to see whether they are aphids or psyllids from the picture. Anyhow, they are almost certainly one or the other. There's a fantastic new environmentally safe product for using regularly on all types of plant pests. I swear by it and it can be obtained online at www.sbplantinvigorator.co.uk. I have used nothing else this year and have controled all problems... even mildew!!
by Longy on September 21, 2005 07:20 AM
I reckon spraying, while it may have a place in gardening, is a last resort. It treats the symptom, not the cause. If something is devouring plants, there is an imbalance and unfortunately sprays are generally not species specific. In the case of sap sucking bugs like aphids, there are many predators that feed on them, like preying mantis and lady beetles. Also some birds will eat them.
Even if you kill them all, the ants may bring them back again so you will have to repeat the treatment indefinitely. If you feed your plants with an organic fertiliser, such as compost with added sulphate of potassium, it will toughten the leaves and they will no longer be palatable to the insect pests. Just a further option to consider.

The plant invigorator you mention Pesticus , is very interesting though. It says in the MSDS that the active ingredient is Urea, which is basically nitrogen. Very interesting methinks.Thanks for the tip.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: