The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Just wanted to share.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Just wanted to say....| Next thread: just went shopping... »
Back to Thread index
by loz on June 11, 2006 04:18 AM
I have 8 tomato plants growing, 2 pepper plants, and a jalepeno pepper.

I started cantaloupes a while back but didn't really have room for them here, so we took the across the street and dad made me a hill next to his cucumbers.

So now he has Mt. Cantaloupe, and Mt. Cucumber as he likes to call them! [Big Grin]

I'm excited to see how they turn out...I've never grown them before.

Dad is growing a lot of stuff....Bush beans, toms, Brussels Sprouts, Lettuce, Potatos, Beets, and some other type of bean...wax or kidney or something. Plus his cucumbers. I'll be foraging around over there while they are in England for a month and a half! [Big Grin]

2 of Dads Brussels Sprouts were eaten all the way down to nothing. And the other night we found a big burrow of a hole around 7-8 inches wide going through the dirt....He blocked it with a bucket....but I wonder what it could be?

Groundhogs are around here, and possums.....do you think it would be one of them. The hole is perfectly rounded out and really close to the brussels sprouts.

I'll take a picture later and post it here.
by elkwc36 on June 11, 2006 05:05 AM
Does it have an opening on the surface? If not might be a gopher. They burrow just below the surface. If you have grubs they like them. The only trouble I've had with them is their burrows and they will dirsturb roots and cause plants to die. Can be an aggravation but have never had one eat anything. If it has an opening you are probably right on. Just my opinion. JD
by DeepCreekLake on June 11, 2006 07:07 AM
Probably a whistle pig AKA Groundhog. Contrary to popular beliefs rabbits do not dig holes (they inhabit old holes usally dug out by groundhogs). In fact the only thing that burrows in our area are groundhogs, and moles- mole holes are small. Your best bet is to get rid of that thing, it will wreak havoc on your garden, and eat it away! Best way to get rid of it to shoot it if you can ring off shots without someone calling the cops etc, or if you know someone skilled with a bow, take it out silently. The burrows can house a family of those pests. Some people poison them, with limited luck, as usually they have more than one way out. Best time to see them is in the evening or after a rain storm, as they come out to drink off the grasses. They get nicknamed whistle pigs, because often people whistle to get them to stand up- then let them have it with a rifle!
by Danno on June 11, 2006 07:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DeepCreekLake:
They get nicknamed whistle pigs, because often people whistle to get them to stand up- then let them have it with a rifle!
lol man. . . REDNECK POWER!!!
by loz on June 11, 2006 07:52 AM
I was thinking it was a groundhog. [Razz]

There was one right below my house living under my neighbors old shed, well she's have work done on the back where it lived...Maybe that drove it out of it's home over to my dads....They just live across the street from me.

As soon as my niece leaves I'll go get a picture to share.

Without saying the name of my town DCL, I live at the bottom of the paper mill---town starts with W--if you can think of where I mean. Couldn't get away with a gunshot here even if we wanted to.....very residential area. Lots of houses close together.

Dad did put netting over his brussel sprouts. [thumb]
by loz on June 11, 2006 07:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Danno:
quote:
Originally posted by DeepCreekLake:
They get nicknamed whistle pigs, because often people whistle to get them to stand up- then let them have it with a rifle!
lol man. . . REDNECK POWER!!!

LOTS of rednecks around here! I live 2 minutes from the WV border..... [lala]
by loz on June 11, 2006 08:45 AM
Here's the hole...Like I said it's about 6 plus inches wide. And it's hard to see, but it's really smoothed out around the edges as you get back in there.....You can't see in too far because it turns to the left as you get in there a few inches.

-
by loz on June 11, 2006 08:57 AM
Here's a few of dads veggies. [thumb]

-

-
by elkwc36 on June 11, 2006 09:25 AM
Loz that looks more like a groundhog for sure. Good luck. I've never had trouble with them in my garden. JD
by loz on June 11, 2006 10:13 AM
Thank you JD.....The hole was sort of blocked in and Dad is hoping it goes out the other side of the dirt bank into the neighbors yard. [Big Grin]
by Firstyeargardener2006 on June 11, 2006 10:16 AM
Your dads garden looks nice.
I hope to have a gardening that big one day.
Nicky

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.
by loz on June 11, 2006 11:05 AM
It's actually a good bit bigger than what you even see in the picture. Years ago he filled the whole thing up, but now he's 75 it's too much work.

I'll be the one taking care of it during August and half of September. And eating out of it too! [Big Grin]

That area used to be where they kept the horses years ago....with stables, etc.
by DeepCreekLake on June 11, 2006 01:55 PM
I dont see a hole in the pic, you defintely can tell a groundhogs hole- you probably could get your whole arm down it if it was! I def know what town you speak of, I can smell the paper mill from my house when the winds blow out of the South. Redneck power or not- a Groundhog is bad news if thats what it is. Most farmers are glad if someone gets rid of them- they do extensive damage, including damaging very expensive farm equipment, or breaking the legs of livestock when they step in there holes!
by LandOfOz on June 11, 2006 02:09 PM
I have never had problems with groundhogs eating up my garden. I have 2 of them that like to burrow around my yard and garden. Usually, I just smush their tunnels back down. I have read though, that the favorite crops of groundhogs are peas, corn, clover, and beans. So if you're growing any of those you might want to try to get rid of them. They also climb apple trees to get the apples! They are so prolific around here that you can hire someone to come and trap him for $5-10. There might be someone in your area. Or you might be able to buy a trap to put out for the little feller. I've heard, although I wouldn't know, that groundhogs are supposed to be absolutely delicious...so if you're really hungry or just into adventurous cuisine... [Big Grin]

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by loz on June 12, 2006 03:28 AM
quote:
I dont see a hole in the pic, you defintely can tell a groundhogs hole-
It's a hole alright, it just bends around to the left out of sight....it's all smoothed down like something big has tunneled it out...

Actually that's a better word, a tunnel. But once it goes left I can't tell to much if it goes down or where it goes.

Sarah I don't think I could EVER eat a groundhog! [Big Grin] One of Marks friends brought down squirrel dumplings once and I could barely look at them. [Roll Eyes]
by loz on June 22, 2006 06:58 AM
I have some tomatoes coming in...woohoo! [clappy]

-
by johnCT on June 22, 2006 07:21 AM
Very nice! Almost looks like a potato leaf plant....what kind is it?

John - Zone 6
by loz on June 22, 2006 07:24 AM
You know I started a few different kinds and didn't label them......It must be either EarlyGirl or Beefsteak though... [dunno] I can't wait to eat them!!! [Big Grin] [thumb]
by penny in ontario on June 22, 2006 07:47 AM
Looking good Loz, but mine arent as far along as yours and i too have the Beefsteak ones, cant wait to go pick one!

-
 -

-
by johnCT on June 22, 2006 07:53 AM
Looks like a more roundish shaped fruit. Probably EG.

John - Zone 6
by melcon6 on June 22, 2006 01:12 PM
The leaves do look a little different,don't they? Could it be an heirloom tomato like brandywine ??

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by loz on June 22, 2006 01:30 PM
Oh I also had Roma and Cherry tomatoes....I bet they are the early girls! [thumb]
by melcon6 on June 22, 2006 01:33 PM
It looks like you'll be 1st in the neighborhood eating tomatoes! [thumb] They look so good, and I don't even really like tomatoes.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by loz on June 22, 2006 02:06 PM
Yeh I got those started early from seed.....My dad bought his already started and mine are way ahead of his! [Big Grin] [thumb]

I give a lot to my neighbor, and Mark takes some to work and to his parents too!
by loz on July 12, 2006 02:46 AM
 -

-

[grin]
by johnCT on July 12, 2006 02:50 AM
Lots of fruit there Loz, huh! Those jalapenos?

John - Zone 6
by loz on July 12, 2006 03:04 AM
Yepper, my hubby likes them HOT! [thumb]

I can't wait for the Toms to ripen up! I'm soooooo ready to eat them! [grin]
by afgreyparrot on July 12, 2006 03:27 AM
quote:
I can't wait for the Toms to ripen up!
Back when I used to grow maters I never could let them get ripe because I was picking them green and frying them!
YUM!!! [grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by penny in ontario on July 12, 2006 04:10 AM
Great pics again Loz...looks healthy!!!

-
 -

-
by chenno on July 12, 2006 04:36 AM
Looking good!!!

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by Winston on July 12, 2006 05:44 AM
I have a woodchuck/groundhog/whistle pig problem right now, and i have been investigating ways to rid my garden of them.... I have heard that they are very smell sensitive, and have read that ammonia, mint soaked cotton balls, and moth balls are alternatives. I have tried the ammonia soaked rags, but it has to be reapplied after the smell wears off, which is not ideal. I was curious if mint plants would keep them away. It makes for a great ground cover... and if you like mint tea, it is delicious too.

There must be someone out there that has dealt with woodchucks without shooting them or trapping them. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Compost... Beautiful Compost

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Just wanted to say....| Next thread: just went shopping... »
Back to Thread index