The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

window planter carrots?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Window Boxes & Vines| Next thread: wine barrel fountain help »
Back to Thread index
by Muskrat on June 09, 2006 09:05 AM
Has anyone ever tried to grow carrots in a window planter box? I am growing lettuce in one (NO SLUGS!) and it is thriving! (Granted I think we will get about two salads out of it) I saw someone's picture of new carrots and thought, mmmmm that would be good.... but I live in an apartment, so gardening is limited.

[wavey] Amie
by shanbear on June 09, 2006 09:29 AM
Hey!

Shoot! I just don't know... as for container gardening, the vegetables I know that grow the best are as follows:

Tomatoes, eggplant, green onions, beans, peppers, lettuce (as you know,) radishes, squash and parsley.

However, I also know that almost any vegetable that will grow in a typical garden, will grow in a container garden so .....possibly. Eitherway it's worth a try I say. As long as you follow the directions on the package in regards to how deep the soil must be to plant carrots, if you have the minimum, it should work.

Good luck! [flower]

Sincerely,
Shanbear
by cookinmom on June 09, 2006 10:00 AM
Hi Amie,
It should work; try it and let us know what happens!
[flower]

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by johnCT on June 10, 2006 12:32 AM
Depending on the variety, carrots require very deep, loose soil. If the window box you have in mind can provide that, then by all means try it. Most window boxes that I've seen are relatively shallow however.

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Window Boxes & Vines| Next thread: wine barrel fountain help »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: