The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

About those Moles???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: ? about size of pile....| Next thread: ? about tilling weeds under »
Back to Thread index
by Bids on August 30, 2005 01:15 AM
Besides for digging up the lawn and flowerbeds, do moles do any other damaged...such as eating my bulbs?? Help as i think i may have a small mole army across my garden. What do i do??? [thinker]

Lack of space never stopped a serious gardener.
by Bids on August 30, 2005 08:46 PM
Really can anyone help about these moles? Pretty PLEASE [critic]

by Dixie Angel on August 30, 2005 08:58 PM
You might try this, Bids. You could google for more ideas...

Dianna

-
 -
by RugbyHukr on August 31, 2005 12:05 AM
Moles come into your lawn to eat grubs, mainly. Use a grub treatment to rid yourself of the grubs & the moles will move on.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by SuzyQ on August 31, 2005 12:22 AM
Hi Bids. I have the same problem with moles. I read that there's all kinds of home remedies that really don't work that well and it's sounding more and more like the most effective method is by trapping them.

That doesn't particularly appeal to me but I might not have a choice because they've been increasing in numbers on my property.

The good news is, I read that they aren't interested in the bulbs in your flowerbeds. [thumb]

~Suzy~
by Bids on August 31, 2005 12:53 AM
Well if they don't acrually do any damage besides lifting bits and pieces of the lawn and the beds (which does look like hell). For the sake of nature i will try and live with these critters, but if they are bulb eating then the gloves come off.
Thanks for ur reply Suzy Q

by Bids on August 31, 2005 01:08 AM
Dixie Angel, thanks for the link. Do u realise what the stuff in the mole repellant is??
"Fox/Bobcat Urine Powder!"

Think my lab would have a heart attack on the spot.

Has anyone ever used this Shake-Away before?

Do you have another term for a grub RugbyHukr?

Thanx all 4 ur help

by RugbyHukr on August 31, 2005 02:09 AM
grub facts

grubs are beetle larvae

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Bids on August 31, 2005 02:55 AM
Oh,

Checked out ur site!

If the moles r eating the grubs that may be eating my plant roots. Then i guess the moles stay. Naturaly pest and pesticide all in one little army of moles!!

by Elfinone on September 01, 2005 03:28 AM
moles,,,well I could lend ya my dog, she loves hunting them. She would however rip up your lawn,so probably not good. At the river we have tons of them, the people that live there have tried traps, didn't work. then one guy said to use juicy fruit gum. he slide it in the paths, the moles ate it, died as they cannot digest gum. I gave this info to my gal pal in Savannaha, she had moles, she tried it, worked great, no moles in her front yard. Mole holes are great little run ways for mice to. they use them in winter especially. good luck getting rid of them.
Elife
by Bids on September 03, 2005 03:43 AM
My garden officialy looks like the london underground for the entire mole universe!!

I spent at least half an hour squashing the ground back down to where it should be. No doubt causing havoc with the system underneath.

Am really going to have to call a proffesional about this....
or does someone have a different remedy that isn't sold in the states and that they know for a fact works. [Mad]

by Bill on September 03, 2005 03:52 AM
I park my lawn mower over their holes and let it run for a few minutes (with blade engaged). The noise drives them away (to the neighbors yard!)

-
by SuzyQ on September 03, 2005 06:33 AM
We have an underground system like yours, Bids. My husband takes the shovel every time he mows the lawn to flatten out those hills. We're on about three acres and they're all over it. I'm getting concerned now because our septic system is a natural mound type and they're digging in there now too. Very costly to replace it if they ruin it.

Trapping them doesn't appeal to me either. I was thinking instead of digging down to their tunnels and placing traps, maybe I'll just dig in until I find a tunnel under each new mound of dirt, and toss a handful of mothballs down there. Apparently they don't like mothballs. Maybe with persistence I can irritate them off my property.

But Boy! Are they ever homely little suckers! I came across one in some long grass and I don't know which one of us ran quicker! But I definitely squealed louder. lol
by The Plant Doc on September 03, 2005 08:03 PM
Moles will not eat bulbs. They are 100% carnivores.
That is the main reason why the commercially sold baits are gimmicks and do not work. Nor will chewing gum in the holes for the same reason.
Urine based scent baits are also gimmicks.
They do little to nothing to help the situation.
I seriously doubt that moles have enough capacity in their lil heads to figure out that the smell comes from a predator, and even if they did, I still doubt it would bother them.
Using an insecticide to go after the grubs in beds is tricky. While this is the best way to send the moles packing, most of the insecticides such as Grub-Ex are systemic killers which will not have any effect on the critters until they eat it. Since your roots are much further apart in a bed as compared to your lawn these types do not have a great effect.
The best bet is using either TalStar or Dylox, which are both contact killers. There are many other pesticides on the market that are labeled for grubs but they break down too quickly to really work.
After the application you must water the product in well, to get it down to the grubs level.

Hey Bill! The spell check isn't working.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Bids on September 05, 2005 02:48 AM
Thank u all!
At least i know i'm not alone in this problem, Suzy

I am relieved that they are carnivorous, Mike
and know my plants are safe. So many people here have told me they definately eat bulbs which has made me very [Mad]

As for the lawnmower trick i will let u know Bill!!

Thanks
Bids

by junebug on September 15, 2005 09:44 PM
Hi, I am new to your website and the reason I decided to join was to let everyone know after years of fighting moles, the natural way and pesticides, I finally found a solution that has rid my yard of them the past year. It's called the "MOLE CHASER". I bought 2 of them, one for my front yard and one for the back and saw instant results. I bought mine through "drugstore.com", but I am sure you can find them other places on the web. Good Luck to everyone! Happy Gardening!!!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: ? about size of pile....| Next thread: ? about tilling weeds under »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: