The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomatoes started from seed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: tomatoes:regular potting soil?| Next thread: Tomatoes upstairs »
Back to Thread index
by McNan on June 04, 2006 08:28 AM
Hi. I live in northern Maine so I start my tomatoes down cellar to get a headstart on the season. This year though, they're acting different. The plants have grown great and look fine except the lower leaves are turning yellow and/or orange. I've been using liquid Miracle Gro half strength when I water. Can anyone tell me what's happening?

Thanks a lot.
by Danno on June 04, 2006 10:32 AM
i too started from seed indoors but only 1 month prior to planting. And let me tell you. . . i used all the same variety and 2/4 the firstleaves turned yellow/orange. I actually went as far as snipping one set off, of course asking here first [Smile] I dont think anything of harm will come to it, i had the same thing and only 1 out of 4 plants died from transplanting outside! [clappy]

I think you'll be fine, though i will say that i never once used fert until the day of transplanting where i used 1/2 strength solely to overcome shock. though everyone here has told me to use seaweed fertilizer. I promptly put seaweed fert. on them and they look fantastic after 1 week of being in the ground!
by McNan on June 05, 2006 01:43 AM
Super! If the rain ever stops, I hope to get these guys in the ground soon. Thanks for the moral support!
by weezie13 on June 05, 2006 08:30 AM
Have you started to harden them off yet???
They really should be outside by now,
at least in the air, learning how to regulate
their plant bodies in the outside conditions...

Mine aren't in the ground yet, but I have them outside learnin' their ways...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by johnCT on June 05, 2006 01:56 PM
If they are otherwise looking fine, I wouldn't worry about the lower leaves. Just pinch them off. How often are you fertilizing? Even half strength, you should really only be feeding them every couple weeks. Good luck. What kind are you growing BTW?

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: tomatoes:regular potting soil?| Next thread: Tomatoes upstairs »
Back to Thread index