The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomoatoe question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Firstyeargardener2006 on May 27, 2006 01:16 AM
I have about 10 or more tomatoes on my plant. My question is when are they suppose to turn red? I hae had about 4 or 5 of them for about a month and they are still green. They are the early bird/ girl I can't remember right now. Sorry. Can some help me in this the plant keeps flowering. The only reason I ask this question is because on of my friends mother is also growing tomoatoes and her's are already red she planted after me. Thank you,
Nicky

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.
by johnCT on May 27, 2006 01:47 AM
Nicky, there are many variables that will affect how quickly the fruit ripens. Different gardens mean different growing conditions. Maybe your friend's mother is growing a different variety. [dunno] Be thankful you have fruit! I don't even have that yet. [Eek!] [Razz]

John - Zone 6
by Greenthumb newbee on May 28, 2006 05:45 PM
Another thing about getting tomatos to ripen I learned last year. just before frost hit I had over 40 Lbs of tomatos and thought What am I going to do with them?? I had them all together in a basket and found out that they ripen faster when together. There is also a plastic container that is made for just that purpose. To ripen fruit\veggies.
by eClaire on May 29, 2006 02:53 AM
I have had green fruit for over a month as well, and I beleive that is normal. Don't panick yet - it is still early in the season!!

Claire
by Danno on May 29, 2006 04:10 AM
your supposed to leave them on the vine till they are red right?
by tkhooper on May 29, 2006 06:32 AM
I have 15 baby green tomatoes and am looking forward to them ripening. I think they require warm weather to ripen? But I could be wrong.

-
 -
by DeepCreekLake on May 29, 2006 08:13 AM
Alot of fruit and veggies release ethaline gases as they ripe. The gases cause ripeing of other nearby fruits/vegatbles. That is why you often hear to keep fruit in a paper bag (usally next to apple or banana) to speed up ripining.
by johnCT on May 29, 2006 08:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Danno:
your supposed to leave them on the vine till they are red right?
Not necessarily.

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on May 29, 2006 02:00 PM
Very cryptic answer, John! [Big Grin]
Not all tomatoes are red at maturity, but red varieties are always best when allowed to ripen on the vine, as are yellows and others, as far as I know. Tomatoes can be picked green and can ripen indoors or be forced to ripen, as in when frost threatens, or some other circumstance requires early picking, or they need to be stored or shipped over a long period. Oh, and don't forget fried green tomatoes! [thumb]

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Firstyeargardener2006 on May 29, 2006 04:36 PM
Ok, Thank you
They are turning red now.
How do you get them to grow bigger? Without using miracle gro?
I notice that mind are kinda small.
Just wondering.
Thank you again,
Nicky

by Longy on May 29, 2006 04:55 PM
How do you get them to grow bigger? Without using miracle gro?
I notice that mind are kinda small.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hey Nicky, remember when you prepared your garden soil, the answer to most problems comes from that time, apart from watering and mulching etc. What goes in, comes out. It's your first garden and you have a crop of tomatoes so you're doin great. Gees you're impatient though.....

-
The secret is the soil.
by Firstyeargardener2006 on May 29, 2006 05:09 PM
Longy,
Yes, I am very impatient. I know [Big Grin] . I can not help it [Big Grin] love :cool:to see things grow rather it be flowers or veggie's [Big Grin] .

Now I know so next year it has to be better and bigger. lol

Thank you,
Nicky

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: