The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Carrots: Cultivating and mulching

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: carrots| Next thread: Carrots and beets »
Back to Thread index
by 'Sparagus on May 26, 2006 11:15 AM
Hi All!! [wavey]

Ok, please dont tell me Ill kill my 2" tall carrot sprouts by cultivating around them....cause I already did...boy does it look nice! [grin]

I really need to mulch between the rows, WAY too many weeds to keep up with. I spent all day pulling them and cant let them come back!  -

How about a 1" thick layer of grass clippings? I have a pile from the lawn mower that's bound for the compost. Is there any reason not to use it? [dunno]

Thanks for any thoughts!!

[flower]
by Triss on May 26, 2006 11:26 AM
I would think the grass clipping would be a good way to keep out the weeds. Dunno if you will harm the carrots or not by digging around them but I would have done the same thing.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by 'Sparagus on May 26, 2006 12:35 PM
THanks! I was mostly digging between the rows, and was super careful when I got close to the plants.

[flower]

On a side note: I just checked out your website! Very nice. I thought to myself, "Wow, Id like to try scrapbooking, but being a mom, who has time..." and then I realized you have 6 kids!! Derrrrrr! That's amazing!  -
by Triss on May 26, 2006 01:02 PM
Thanks. I really enjoy scrapping when I get a chance. Let's see my last chance was ohhhh 6 months ago. YIKES! I really hope I can do some more this summer once the kids are outta school.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Longy on May 26, 2006 08:10 PM
It would be best if the clippings were not green. So you may want to dry them in the sun for a bit. Was there seed on the grass when you cut it? If so, you could be importing weeds.

-
The secret is the soil.
by johnCT on May 27, 2006 12:24 AM
The grass clippings would be a great mulch around the carrots. A good source of nitrogen to the soil also if the cliipings are fresh.

John - Zone 6
by 'Sparagus on May 27, 2006 02:11 AM
Ok that's what I was wondering, I knew the green grass would have alot of nitrogen, and was a little worried about it being too much.

Funny thing is: The pile of grass has been drying for a couple weeks, and I took the most dry stuff from the top. But this morning it looks super green, after being watered!

Actually the weeds were probably coming from grass growing within my veggie patch...there's a 1 foot border between the bunny fence and beds....Im just getting it trimmed now but alot of it has gone to seed! [dunno]

[flower]
by Longy on May 27, 2006 08:47 AM
The grass clippings would be a great mulch around the carrots. A good source of nitrogen to the soil
++++++++++++
You know John, there's some debate about this. Some experts say using grass clippings as mulch will cause short term nitrogen drawdown and others say it won't. I've found it to become water repellant if laid an inch or so thick when it's green, so drying it and preferably mixing with shredded leaves will help alleviate this. Having said that though, carrots aren't big nitrogen feeders anyway so i guess it wouldn't matter too much one way or the other.

-
The secret is the soil.
by 'Sparagus on May 27, 2006 09:46 AM
I guess Im in luck, looks like my DH mowed over alot of leaves too, so the stuff does have a bunch of shredded leaves mixed in, and also like I said, it's been sitting there for a while so it's on the dry side.

I could totally see the water repellant thing though. Some of the stuff that wasnt dry yet was holding together like a mat!

[flower]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: carrots| Next thread: Carrots and beets »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: