The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Above ground radishes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: About watering...| Next thread: above ground turnips! »
Back to Thread index
by kyomi74 on May 24, 2006 01:07 PM
Hello,
I have always heard that home grown radishes are vastly superior to store bought, and that they are super easy to grow. Well, I've tried to grow radishes in three different states - California, Washington, and now Texas, and I can't seem to get them to grow below ground! I'll plant them, thin them and watch as gorgeous foliage develops, but the roots always seem to develop above ground, rarely developing more than a slightly swollen bulb before starting to go to seed... I tried building up some soil around the plant, to kind of cover up the exposed root, but it hasn't seemed to help so far.
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Kyomi74 - Killeen Texas
by Bestofour on May 24, 2006 01:15 PM
I pulled some radishes today. They do start showing above ground for me too, but if you leave them a little longer they will get bigger.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Deborah L. on May 24, 2006 02:13 PM
Kyomi, tell me about it !!!! I guess misery loves company, because it's a relief to find someone who can't get a good, normal radish either !
It just floors me that I can grow anything, and something as easy and common as radishes just make red strings and never form a globe/bulb !
Weezie advised me to lightly water, and I'm gonna just spritz my next seeds and when they're up, hill them and water CAREFULLY.
I think if I could get just one good radish, it'd get me to invest in a digital camera, so I could proudly display it here ! Sheesh !

-
 -
by Triss on May 24, 2006 02:17 PM
I have not grown radishes in ages but this weekend when we were putting seeds in, my FIL told me that they, as well as carrots, likes very fine soil and that the roots grow down easier if they have nothing to run into to hamper their growth. Dunno if there is anything to that but it does make sense. Will let you know how ours do!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Deborah L. on May 24, 2006 02:57 PM
Triss, I had mine in good potting soil in a huge pot. I think Weezie's right and I watered too hard, and also maybe didn't keep consistently moist.
You know what I'd like to see? A picture of a good big radish right when you pull it !
It can be my inspiration......
[Big Grin]

-
 -
by mater sandwich on May 24, 2006 03:50 PM
How's this?

-

Some days there is more laughter than others....Just depends on what/who you focus on....
by Deborah L. on May 24, 2006 05:57 PM
Argh !!!!!!!!!
Argh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Argh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-
 -
by Deborah L. on May 24, 2006 05:59 PM
I'm having a bout of severe depression.......
WHY CAN'T I GROW A DECENT RADISH?????????? [Eek!]

-
 -
by Longy on May 24, 2006 06:44 PM
Check your soil Ph. Lay off the nitrogen fertilizers, use a higher potassium fert instead. Constant soil moisture, mulching to keep it that way and also to keep temperatures constant. Note from the above foto that they are not completely under the surface of the soil, more like half above half below.
They may not grow a bulb if they are too close together, so thin them after they sprout. Also, if the soil temp is too high they will just grow a thin root, same for beets.

-
The secret is the soil.
by johnCT on May 25, 2006 01:00 AM
Could be a soil compaction problem as well. When you can't seem to figure out the problem....Get a soil test done!! Very inexpensive and provides a WEALTH of information that you can use. [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by Shawn M on May 25, 2006 01:49 AM
That is one nice looking radish. I've had decent luck growing mine in containers this year. The first crop was kinda small, but I started them super early and was very inpatient to get then in my salads.

I've read the posts on radishes, I can only suggest keeping them in a soil of compost, potting soil, and dirt. It has been working for me.

The ones I have going right now are looking really good...maybe another week?

Shawn
by Triss on May 25, 2006 04:01 AM
Sure hope all of mine, or at least some of them look that good.

-
 -
by Marina on May 25, 2006 04:15 AM
I am definetly part of the can't grow radish club. After my recent radish post things have gotten worst and some of the roots of my radishes can be seem.

Is shoring up some dirt around the roots a good idea? The leaves, while super healthy are flopping all over the place [Frown]

Though, I did have my first loose leaf lettuce salad yesterday, it felt mean cutting off the leaves! but I would sure love some radishes to add ;(
by Deborah L. on May 25, 2006 06:18 AM
I never have fed my radishes anything, because they were planted in new E.B. Stone potting soil.
I think it was the faulty watering in my case.
"Can't Grow Radishes Club" - good one ! [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Deborah L. on May 26, 2006 01:42 PM
OK, fellow radish fans.... I bought another packet of Cherry Belle seeds today.
I'm planting this afternoon - wish me luck !
This time I'll water more carefully, keep them moist, and cross my fingers ! [perplexed]

-
 -
by Deborah L. on May 27, 2006 10:32 AM
OK, I planted 5 radish seeds in a big pot of good soil. I'm gonna mist them for now.
Unless they drift, they won't need to be thinned, since I planted the darn seeds inches away from each other.
Here we go !!! (Hopefully....) [dunno]

-
 -
by Marina on May 27, 2006 11:55 AM
Good luck to you!!!! [Smile]

I planted 2 new batched (with the seeds a few inches apart from each other) and thinned them out this morning. I am on a radish growing mission!!!! I was a bit down last night. We finally had to give up on the batch that wasn't working and dug them all up (not a radish or anything even sort of radish looking to be found!!!).

If these 2 batched wont give me any radishes.... well I plan on using an extra tire for my tire potatos and sticking them in there with brand new loose garden soil.

Great idea to plant in a pot. I hope this works out for you. We can have a virtual radish toast in a month (hopefully!!!!)

This is the most "developed" radish we had....yea and it had been in the ground for almost 2 months and was starting to come out of the ground!

-

I hope what you pull out looks nothing like that next month [Smile]

Marina- [muggs]
by Deborah L. on May 27, 2006 12:12 PM
Thank for the good wishes, Marina, and I hope we both do well and have our toast !
Your picture-that's exactly all my radishes do no matter how long they were in the soil.
I am actually gonna plant ONE seed in a paper cup and baby it, can you believe it? Just to see if I can get ONE decent radish !
This whole thing has become a matter of self esteem.... [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Marina on May 27, 2006 12:32 PM
I can see it now Deborah [Smile]

And I might just steal that idea [Wink] Though, the tire method has worked so well for my potatoes....its tempting to give it a go with the radishes [Wink]

You'll have to keep us up to date on their progress [Smile]
by Bestofour on May 29, 2006 11:53 AM
 -

I got these out of the garden today. I've found that if I pull them before they start coming to the top I'll get a long root too. All of these had worked their way out so I could see the top of the radish.

-
 -
by n00bGardener on May 29, 2006 02:45 PM
Wow, I thought it was just me but I see others are having or have had the same problem with the radishes coming above groud.. Like someone already suggested Im just gonna leave them as long as possble and see what happens..
by Deborah L. on May 29, 2006 03:11 PM
Oh, Best ! I want to do that so much !
They look wonderful !!!!!

-
 -
by Marina on May 29, 2006 03:46 PM
LOL... best... me and my SO are sitting here and I saw the picture and just yelled "why can't I grow that????"

He just laughs at my radish struggle [Smile]

Yours look great though. How do you plant to prepare them?

I like then thinly sliced with a bit of salt on bread with butter... its an old russian thing, reminds me of my childhood [Smile]
by Deborah L. on May 29, 2006 03:55 PM
That sounds good, I'm gonna try that ! On wheat bread?

-
 -
by Marina on May 29, 2006 04:00 PM
Wheat or some really dark rye bread. Yum [Smile] I moved to the US when I was about 9.... but I still remember those sanwhiches. So simple, but so good [Smile]
by Deborah L. on May 29, 2006 04:42 PM
Marina, I'm eating one right now as I read posts.
I used a good dark whole grain bread.
This is really good ! It's like the butter mellows the radish somehow.
Everybody, try this !
Thanks, Marina ! [thumb]

-
 -
by Marina on May 29, 2006 04:47 PM
Glad you're enjoying [Smile] the dark bread is the key I think.

I do think the butter balances well with the radish. Can't wait till me and you can have some fresh [Wink]

I didn't think it was an unusal way to eat them till writing the post, my boyfriend gave me an odd look. But as weird as it sounds, its delicous [Smile]

Marina-
by Deborah L. on May 29, 2006 05:43 PM
I can't wait either ! This time we're gonna have real radishes !
BTW, the radish sandwich is definitely going to be something I eat from now on. It is truly good. I never would have thought of using radishes for sandwiches.
Thanks so much for bringing up the subject ! [grin]

-
 -
by Triss on May 29, 2006 06:12 PM
Sheri, Those look really good!

-
 -
by Bestofour on May 30, 2006 08:08 AM
I've never had a radish sandwich, but some people have never had a pineapple sandwich or banana sandwich either. It's such fun to try new stuff.

Marina, I bought my seeds in a package and just planted them in a row in the garden. Radishes grow in this area for some reason. I've already put out some more sees so I'll have them until it gets too hot. Part of my garden is in full sun, part of it gets a lot of shade. They do well on either end. My soil is very acidic (isn't that what oak trees do to the soil?).

-
 -
by joegardener on May 30, 2006 03:10 PM
We all have the same problem. I planted rads the 2nd week of march and got nothing [Eek!] After reading some posts I planted them again and made sure they each had an inch between them to grow> I watered them regular, friday it did not look good but after camping for the weekend we came home today and I picked 50 or more perfect rads :thumbup:the only advise I can give is to give them space and be patient.
by Marina on May 30, 2006 03:16 PM
Congrads [Smile] I am hoping my second, third, and fourth (yea... I really wanted to make sure so I scattered some in various places) will work out better!

Glad to hear sucess can be achieved when it didn't work out the first time!!!! Thank you for sharing the sucess [Smile]

Marina-
by Deborah L. on May 30, 2006 05:55 PM
Hey, Marina, guess what I had for a snack tonight?

-
 -
by Marina on May 31, 2006 01:09 AM
LOL. Since I have been talking about them I think I am going to go to the store myself to have my own this evening [Wink]
by Deborah L. on May 31, 2006 12:16 PM
Good ! I really like them, I hope you all try one ! Right, Marina?
BTW, my radish seeds are up ! The 5 seeds I planted the other day.
If I hafta kiss 'em good night and tuck them in, I will ! Anything to get a real radish !

-
 -
by Bestofour on July 07, 2006 11:22 AM
Ok, I know the trick for those of you having string radishes. Just leave them in the ground for a while. This hadn't happened to me before and I thought you guys had jinxed me. But when I started to pull one and saw that it was just like a root, I put the soil back around it and left it until today. I harvested a bunch of big, fat radishes tonight. No stringy, root things at all.

-
 -
by badplanter on July 08, 2006 04:11 PM
i grow radishes al lthe time and they grow fine for me---make sure you seperate and sow them good once they start to grow in--also, make sure to fertilize if possible...

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by Deborah L. on July 08, 2006 04:34 PM
This fall I'm gonna get real radishes if I hafta plant them one per paper cup !!!!!! [Mad]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: About watering...| Next thread: above ground turnips! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: