The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

CILANTRO?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Cilantro| Next thread: cilantro »
Back to Thread index
by salsa123 on May 24, 2006 04:14 AM
LAST YEAR I PLANTED IT AND IT SEEMED TO GO RIGHT TO SEED. HOW AND WHEN DO YOU HARVEST IT? AND WILL IT KEEP PRODUCING? IT'S KINDA MY KEY INGREDIENT AND I HATE TO KEEP BUYING IT.

THANKS
by ranger on May 24, 2006 05:50 AM
I love fresh cilantro, Keep it cut or when it does go to seed let them fall and you will get a (patch) going like weeds. You probably know the seeds are used as well. Plant it heavy and keep cutting. It wqill over winter and keep coming back. Even in cold climates.
ranger
by LandOfOz on May 25, 2006 06:50 AM
When cilantro goes to seed it's called 'bolting'. Heat often makes it bolt. From what I've read, planting a lot of cilantro together helps to prevent from bolting. The most recommended solution is to plant it in succession that way once one plant has bolted, you have another plant ready for picking. I'm not sure how to collect the seeds, my cilantro is in a bad spot so I can't just let them fall. I was considering putting a brown bag over the dried flower clusters and rubberbanding it to the stem. Then wait and see what falls off.

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by tkhooper on May 25, 2006 07:23 AM
Once the little round seeds appear I cut off the branches and then hung them inside a paper bag on the back of my closet door. I had enough coriander to last me several years lol.

-
 -
by peppereater on May 25, 2006 07:50 AM
Cilantro can be planted very early and will survive light frost. It also makes a good fall plant, and will overwinter in mild years. The coriander (seed) is useful, though I prefer the cilantro. Try growing some indoors in a sunny window...I'll be doing that this year, and am hoping the airconditioning keeps it from bolting.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cilantro| Next thread: cilantro »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: