The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bees everywhere

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Bees diggin' my dirt!!!| Next thread: bees in strawberry plant »
Back to Thread index
by gardengal on June 17, 2005 11:32 PM
So yesterday when I got home from work I noticed a swarm of bees on the house in the corner between the chimney and the wall. It was probably 2 ft wide and 3 ft long and they were all on top of each other. I'm talking hundreds of bees here. [shocked] [scaredy] They didn't seem to care if I was there or not but I quickly went inside. I called my hubby to tell him so when he got home from work we went and checked the same spot and no bees! There were maybe 5 or 6 flitting around and as we sat there discussing it we watched one little bugger crawl in a tiny crack between the mortar of the chimney and the house. [shocked] So I went inside and sure enough, if you put your ear up to the wall you can hear a definite BUZZZZZ. [scaredy]

I immediately called my dad (Daddy to the rescue!!) and he confirmed my suspicion that we have a hive in our wall. He suggested calling a bee removal service and letting them handle it just to be sure they are not in the attic as well. We called 3 bee people last night and left messages. Anyone have any ideas? Any thoughts on how much this is going to cost? Is there a way to capture the bees to take them somewhere else? I don't want to kill them unless we have to as the only option.

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by Dixie Angel on June 17, 2005 11:37 PM
Gosh, gardengal. [scaredy] [shocked] [scaredy] I feel for you! I am allergic to the things. I hope you and your family aren't. I don't have any advice to give you, I'm afraid. I think I would burn my house down if we had an invasion of bees! [Big Grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by weezie13 on June 18, 2005 12:31 AM
Kristen,
I am a bee advocate...
Truely I am!!!
I would never hurt one or discourage it
from my yard...
(and actually I do encourage them into my yard)

That said..

[Frown]
DON'T FOOL AROUND WITH A HIVE/SWARM THAT BIG [shocked] !!!! [Frown]
Call in the professionals and abide by what
they say!!!
I have seen and heard/read many stories of people being stung/nearly half to death and yes, even death..
So please don't fool around!

And please let us know how you make out!!! [kissies]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by gardengal on June 18, 2005 02:16 AM
I love bees too and I am always so grateful when I see one buzzing around but I do not want them living in my house!! My hubby and I are not allergic but my sister is, so until this is done she can't come visit. I'm definitely leaving it up to the professionals to handle. I just hope there is some way to convince them to go to a new hive and go to do their bee thing somewhere else.

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by gardengal on June 21, 2005 12:26 AM
Well the bee guy came out on Saturday and said he does not think we have a hive in the wall. He said if we had a working hive we would see worker bees coming in and out to go out and collect pollen for honey. Yay!! And he didn't even charge me. He suggested filling the small hole in the mortar in the chimney and keep our eye out.

-
 -
by jgeoff on June 21, 2005 03:13 AM
I'm no expert, but I'd get a second opinion. Perhaps they're still building the hive? Closing them into your wall by sealing the chimney sounds a little cruel to me, and they may try escaping another way -- perhaps through your house? [shocked]

That's just my 2¢...

BTW - If there was a hive in your wall, what they do to remove it is tear out a hole in the sheetrock and vacuum the little buggers up -- doesn't hurt them.

JG

First Year Pepper Grower : Habanero, Red Chile, Jalapeno, Cayenne, Hot Banana, Hot Cherry, Tabasco, Thai, Giant Serrano, Peter, NM Big Jim, Arbol
by gardengal on June 21, 2005 09:11 PM
I agree that just closing them up in there would be cruel but I don't think we have them in there anymore. I can't hear any more buzzing anywhere. Both my hubby and I have listened a couple of times since the big swarm was here. I think they may be gone. Not that I miss them or anything...

-
 -
by weezie13 on June 21, 2005 09:15 PM
Just keep an eyeball out for them...
Just to make sure!!!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by gardengal on June 21, 2005 09:17 PM
Definitely!!! [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

-
 -
by MaryReboakly on June 21, 2005 10:34 PM
Their old hive probably just split and they were looking for a new home - hopefully they checked yours out and decided it wasn't what they were looking for [Wink]

We have carpenter bees that are in the eave of the shed - in the spring you could hear them gnawing. <shudder> I kinda wanted to fill up the holes, but didn't want them moving into my attic instead?!

So, it's been a few days now - are you still seeing them around or have they moved on?

-
 -
by gardengal on June 28, 2005 11:00 PM
Nope, no signs of the bees. I think they decided it wasn't too pratical to build their hive in such a small spot. Thank goodness. We have plenty of bees in the yard buzzing around the ground cover but they seem intent on ignoring me, which is just fine. I even pulled weeds around them and they could really care less. Of course, I'm always careful to not step on any or whack them.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bees diggin' my dirt!!!| Next thread: bees in strawberry plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: