The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Corn. . . how and when?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: corn| Next thread: Corn & Canteloupes still going... »
Back to Thread index
by Danno on May 21, 2006 02:05 PM
ok guys. . . . i'm having problems with the seeds i've planted outdoors for corn. i dont see them poking through the ground at all. I soaked the seeds overnight in a cup of water, and planted 4-5 seeds per location. only one has poked through. . of course it has been crapola weather for the past 2 weeks with hardly no sun/warmth and a good 3 days of solid rain too. [Mad]

However i have now successfully gotten 4 plants transplanted outside, that i started indoors in some seed start mix and they shoot to a good 3" tall within a week!

Questions here. . . is there a better time to plant seeds outside? or is germinating indoors in warmth & petemoss containers going to be my only choice?

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [nutz]
by elkwc36 on May 21, 2006 03:56 PM
Danno. First do you have any idea of ground temperature? Most sweet corn don't germinate well in cool soil. Needs to be 55 up at planting depth. There are a few varieties that will germinate at cooler temps.. First I would look on your seed packet it should say. That is what it sounds like to me. If so wait till it warms a little and replant and they should come up ok. Good luck. Jay
by Danno on May 21, 2006 06:01 PM
ty man [Smile] Due to the cold weather i'm sure its avg is below 55! Good thinking!
by markr on May 21, 2006 11:20 PM
i would say cold soil is the problem!
i always start mine in the greenhouse, then transplant outside when its warmed up!

-
Mark
by Danno on May 22, 2006 05:53 AM
yah i like the idea of transplanting. . unless your doing ALOT of corn lawl. That way you ensure germination!
by weezie13 on May 22, 2006 12:10 PM
Yes to the soil temps, they like it a bit warmer..

But direct sowing is best for them, cause they resent being transplanted...
***We've had the same yicky, dull, drab, drizzly rain I think, I've been waiting to plant mine too***

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by markr on May 22, 2006 12:43 PM
i never have trouble transplanting mine!
i start them in paper tubes (i hate making em) but its time well spent.
when there ready to put out the roots are coming through the paper tubes.
i just make a hole, put em in, and away they go!!
worth a try,,,

-
Mark
by Deborah L. on May 22, 2006 12:44 PM
Mark, how do people eat corn in England? On the cob or what?
I agree with you about having new potatoes with butter only ! YUM ! And a sprinkle of salt- a feast !!!

-
 -
by markr on May 22, 2006 12:54 PM
yeah on the cob with butter.
now my mouth is watering, thinking about new potatoes!!!

-
Mark
by Longy on May 22, 2006 06:26 PM
i start them in paper tubes (i hate making em)
++++++++++++++++++++
Spent toilet paper cardboard rolls and plastic wrap rolls work well for this too.They break down a little more slowly than paper but it forces the roots to go deep.

-
The secret is the soil.
by woodchuck on May 23, 2006 02:53 AM
I planted corn two weeks ago when it was nice and warm, then the rain came, about 20% made it, the rest of the seeds rotted before they came up, last monday I filled in all the gaps with new 73 day seed, we'll seed what happens. yukyuk.
by weezie13 on May 23, 2006 04:03 AM
Yeah, corn needs warm soil to germinate...
I think half of our farmers here, haven't planted yet, we've been soooo cold and rainy here
*and frost advisories tonight*
that they are waiting for the wee~bit warmer weather to get it in...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by DanielNewman007 on May 23, 2006 09:21 PM
I started mine off indoors in peat pots (as recommended by all the literature I'd read). Not sure it was such a good idea, as the roots have popped through virtually all of them very easily. Still, they look healthy, and are hardening off outside as we speak. I might try the toilet roll holder idea next year if these are a success.

I've only got about nine, as I'm planting in a border in the garden, so hope that'll be enough for pollination? (3x3 block)

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: corn| Next thread: Corn & Canteloupes still going... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: