The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rabbits

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Rabbits| Next thread: rabbits »
Back to Thread index
by Xetox on May 17, 2006 02:02 AM
I am having a horrible time with rabbits, I am using liquid fence, the guy at the nursery said its what everyone is using this year and having the best of luck with. It seems to be keeping them off my lettuce but they have eaten my blueberry plants, rasberry plants, and they wont leave my sunfowers alone.

What do you all do to keep them away?

I am bout to go buy me a bee bee gun [Wink]

-
I hate those dang rabbits [Smile]
by ChristinaC on May 17, 2006 03:34 AM
Don't buy a bee bee gun. [Frown]

Are you sure it's rabbits eating your berries and sunflowers? Birds will do the same thing. If you know for sure it's rabbits...why not use the liquid fence around the berries and sunflowers?

-
 -
by LandOfOz on May 17, 2006 03:40 AM
I had a problem with the bunnies (and little children) last year. Thankfully in our cellar was some white decorative fencing from a previous owner--looks kinda like lots of arches interlocking--it's only 12-18 inches high once in the ground. It doesn't look too bad and it not only keeps the rabbits but my kiddos too!

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Xetox on May 17, 2006 06:30 AM
Yea I am sure its rabbits, I have sprayed everything with the liquid fence! <And let me tell you, that stuff stinks, I breathed in some when I was misting the garden and I had the smell in my nose all night. I kept asking the wife if she pee'd her pants [Smile] >

I am going to try to double and triple up, I am going to continue the liquid fence. I am also stoping by the nursery this weekend and getting some blood meal, I keep reading on these forums that blood meal is great for keep rabbits away, plus it adds to the soil. And I will try the little white fence, and long as its not to costy. My just go with chiken wire [Smile]

-
by Deborah L. on May 17, 2006 08:10 AM
Thank you all for deciding to work around the rabbities and not to kill any.
I applaud all of you ! [clappy]
Hugs from California !

-
 -
by ChristinaC on May 17, 2006 08:41 AM
quote:
Thank you all for deciding to work around the rabbities and not to kill any.

I have a bunny...house trained...roams free. I actually grow all kinds of things just for him, so perhaps I'm a little biased but they're just so cute. I live in the city..I've never had a problem with rabbits or deer and if I did, I'd probably be runnin' after them and bringing them all into my home. [Big Grin] I'd adopt all of them.

-
 -
by Xetox on May 17, 2006 09:28 AM
I grew up in the country...never had problems with rabbits. Move to the city and there is like 10 of them that like to hang out in my back yard and eat in my garden [Smile] I chase them but they dont go far [Razz]

-
by Xetox on May 17, 2006 09:29 AM
O and Christina we have a long ear ourselfs, but he does not bother our veggies [Wink]

-
by Deborah L. on May 17, 2006 09:39 AM
Xetox, they're hungry that's all.
I feed my wild rabbits a bowl of wild birdseed and sliced apples every night and none of them ever eats my plants.
Their names are: Pointy Relaxing, T'Lears, Baby Rabbit and Bunny Rabbit.
They stay close to me, and arrive every evening for supper.
They come very close to my feet and I love sitting on the patio watching them eat and play and they listen to me telling them my cares and all.
Great therapists ! [Love] And good friends.

-
 -
by Xetox on May 19, 2006 02:10 AM
I just might have to try that. We had a momma that used our yard this year to have her babies, now they have decided that my back yard is there home. We have about 6 in total that live under my shed in the back.

-
by Deborah L. on May 19, 2006 04:06 AM
Good for you, willing to try !
I don't know if it's just the storybooks or what, but I have never seen our west coast rabbits eat carrots, lettuce, etc.
It was only by accident that I discovered that they like birdseed. I had hung a birdfeeder down low as it looked like the birds weren't noticing it, and I saw a rabbit pulling it down and eating. So from then on I scatter a bowl on the clean grass for them. Under a shrub, past the reach of predators. Not in the open.
The apples were just a guess, and sure enough they love apples. Once in a while a graham cracker for a treat. Rabbits need grain, that's why they like birdseed.
Ours are desert cottontails, which may be why they don't really eat the "classic" rabbit foods like garden stuff.
They won't eat rabbit food (pellets) or rabbit alfalfa either. So Kaytee wild birdseed and apples it is !

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rabbits| Next thread: rabbits »
Back to Thread index