The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ants on peonies?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: ants on our meyer lemon tree| Next thread: Ants on the Plants? »
Back to Thread index
by rozy221 on May 01, 2005 05:37 AM
Every time I look at my peonies, I see ants hanging out near the flower bud. Is there something going on there that I should know about? Are they damaging the plant? Should I try to get rid of them, and, if so, how? Thanks for the help! [wayey]
by Meg on May 01, 2005 05:53 AM
Look for something smaller.. aphids. If you see a bunch of ants on your plants, then chances are, they are there to collect the honeydew the aphids create. Icky critters.. suck the life out of your plants.

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by tkhooper on May 01, 2005 06:02 AM
Hey Rosy,

Where there are peonies there are ants, I even planted zinnia's right next door to them and used the nicotine tea. Ants aren't moving. they even built a nest/house/colony alittle farther down in the weed patch.

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on May 01, 2005 06:16 AM
Ants won't hurt your peonies...

Peonies and Ants

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Meg on May 01, 2005 02:52 PM
Wow, that's cool to know Cindy. I wouldn't have thought about the flower having something sweet & attractive to the ants. But that makes sense! Thanks for the link! Now, I learned something new today. [Big Grin] [Wink]

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by rozy221 on May 02, 2005 07:05 AM
Cool-Thank you very much Cindy-that's a relief-now I'll smile when I see the ants instead of grumble [grin]
by Karin Winn on May 02, 2005 05:46 PM
Peonies and ants go together. I've heard they eat the "green" over the bud, and therefore are helpful. I remember as a child (AGES ago) when I'd stand at the hedge row of peonies my grandmother had and try to get all the ants off the buds. Those peonies made the most beautiful display........enjoy!

Wannabeinoregon
by Fernie on May 02, 2005 06:10 PM
I was told that the ants were necessary for pollination.

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by JAKE on May 12, 2005 06:31 PM
The flowers will not open if not for the ants. I've planted them in order to draw them away from certain areas and towards the plants instead. Seems to work well thus far.
[Smile]

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: ants on our meyer lemon tree| Next thread: Ants on the Plants? »
Back to Thread index