The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dying Plants? (warning, pictures inside :)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Dying plant| Next thread: dying rhodendrons »
Back to Thread index
by Marina on May 12, 2006 02:48 AM
Hey there [Wink]

I was wondering if anyone knows how to tell whether your plants are dead or if they are "stressed" or need something and they will come back.

Thia watermelon was doing finen and now both its green stems are limp and laying on the ground [Frown]

-

And also this "early girl" tomato plant that just looks a bit limp and sad. Its not completely dead on the ground but I don't know what t wants. All its tomato friend all around it are happy and so are the peppers.

-

Are these dead? They get all the water and sun they want. The things around them are all happy. I bought these plants when they were already started and they have never really set off after the trasnplant (3 or so weeks ago)

Thanks for any advice [Smile] Hope you are all enjoying the week. Supposed to rain here till Wednesday ;(

Marina-
by johnCT on May 12, 2006 02:53 AM
Really hard to say. Can you take a closer look or closer-up pics and describe any other symptoms they might have?

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on May 12, 2006 10:07 AM
Yeah, really..

Could of been a frost??

Could have been a lack of water, and maybe combo'd tooooo hot of sun, especially if you JUST planted them??? [dunno]

Could be too much fertilizer on a hotttt day...

Can you tell us more, when you got them/how long you've had them, planted them, what you did to the soil, what you did when you planted them/ie; time of day, planted in dry soil and then fertilized, etc.., did you harden them off or planted them straight out into the garden from buying them at a garden center????

When you last watered or when it rained..

Any bugs?

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Deborah L. on May 12, 2006 10:49 AM
Did something step on them? That was my first thought. Stepped on, rolled on, something lay down on them?

-
 -
by comfrey on May 12, 2006 02:01 PM
I was thinking maybe transplant shock of an already weakend plant, If the others around it are doing well then thta would be my guess, but it does look as if something may have layed on them or rolled on them...Have you had heavy rain or wind...One of my tomatoe plants (this is the second one) was flated by heavy rain and wind.

-
 -
by Firstyeargardener2006 on May 12, 2006 04:34 PM
I have had that problem to with my watermelon plants. I planted 14 by accident and some of them look like some one came and layed or kiciked them up. I don't know what it is down here in Texas.

I am still trying to find out.

The tomatoe plant looks like my patio plant did after the storm came in.
Nicky

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dying plant| Next thread: dying rhodendrons »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: