The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help with a Memorial Garder

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Help with a Jade| Next thread: help with a mint plant »
Back to Thread index
by Tanikova on May 08, 2004 05:07 PM
Hello everyone,

I am very new to this and I want to start a memorial garden mostly to help my son deal with a recent loss of his first cat sox, who was 11 years old, though I also wanted to memorialize my older loss of a son due to miscarriage... my son has picked out a forsynthia bush and I was also thinking of lilac and wisteria... the place where this will be is shaded in the morning and full sun in the afternoon... It is on the side of the house and in front of our bow windows in the family room... it is also near solid whitish fence that I envision extending the garden down to with a riot of colorful flowers... all sizes and colorful all season long... I live in Pennsylvania, near Philadelphia so I think that is 5-6 in climate area.

I have no idea where to start besides order the bushes on line and hope to get them within a week or so.... any ideas??? I guess I have always envisioned a colorful garden but have been so afraid of screwing something up that I never started... but now I am at the point where I realize that mistakes will happen but I bet I learn something from each of them and just keep going if that makes any sense... I know nothing with happen unless I try and maybe there will not be as many mistakes as I fear..

Thanks everyone... Happy mothers day [dunno] [angel]

Ann
by Jiffymouse on May 09, 2004 12:17 AM
[wayey] hi ann [wayey] welcome to the garden helper. glad you found and joined us [thumb]

you have the right idea, but rather than order the plants online, i would go to a local nursery (NOT one of the big box stores like walmart and lowes) and talk to the owner. tell them what you are planning, and that you are trying to get yourself and your son into gardening as a way to spend time together. they will help you. gardeners, especially the ones with nurseries (home owned) are the frienliest people in the world. you will have the benefit of a local resource (both for plants and info) that will know and understand your weather and soil.

now, personally, the plants you have chosen are great. i am really partial to wisteria, but you have to remember, that with wisteria, it doesn't always bloom the first couple of years. so, if instant gratification is what you are after, then wisteria isn't it. check out wisteria buds? to see what i mean.

also, bill, THE garden helper, has a great section gardening with children

you might want to check that out also. hope this helps!
by Janet R. on May 11, 2004 11:17 PM
Hi! I'm kinda new at this too, but I agree that it's best to go a local nursery. However, there's a great place to go just to look at plants, and that's http://www.naturehills.com/ (you'll have to cut'n'paste the URL, sorry). The plants you mentioned are all very good growers. Good luck!

~ Janet
by Barb H. on May 13, 2004 04:14 PM
Hi there, and welcome to the forum. I am from PA, near Philly as well!!!

I am sorry to hear about your losses, but think it's a great idea to commemorate them with a garden. I have been planting roses. Memorial Day (rose) I planted for my aunt this season.

There was also a beloved member of this forum who recently passed away and the next rose I get (hopefully this weekend) will be renamed Hollywood's rose.

Hope you will enjoy yourself here...there are a lot of fun and interesting characters you will enjoy getting to know.

Barb H.

-
by Barb H. on May 13, 2004 04:21 PM
Ann,

P.S. Don't worry about making mistakes! I'm new to gardening too.....go to the library..get a book on gardening and enjoy.

Start at the nursery...the people there will be glad to help you pick out things that might be easier to start out with. Don't stress about it...just pick out things that appeal to you and you are good to go. Only consideration should be whether it's full sun, partial, or shade and you go from there. Most of all....have fun!

Oh!! On another note....if you are in my area you may get 1210 AM?? It's a talk radio station. On Saturdays they have a gardening show from 6am-8am and it's really informative. The show host is Fran Sorin..and she just came out with a gardening book you may want to check out at Borders or Barnes & Noble.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help with a Jade| Next thread: help with a mint plant »
Back to Thread index