The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Something is dining on my flowers!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Fernie on April 20, 2005 04:10 PM
It has ate the flowers off a gerbera and one of my poor ranuculus is down to one flower stalk. The rest of the plant is gone! I can't find any burrows or signs of beetles or anything? What could it be and how can I stop it?
HELP!!!

[tears] [scaredy]

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by phoenix on April 20, 2005 10:41 PM
raccoon maybe?? [dunno] will they eat flowers?
squirrels possibly. i have a family osquirrels that love to dig in my flower beds and boxes not caring wha tthey destroy

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by Fernie on April 21, 2005 05:42 PM
I think it is rabbits....usually they don't come up by the house because of the dogs and cats but those are all in at night. Does anyone know how I can keep the rabbits from chewing up my sun bed?

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by Jiffymouse on April 23, 2005 03:54 AM
human or animal (dog) hair is what is reputed to work best and be most environmentally friendly. #2 is cayenne pepper sprinkled about.
by RugbyHukr on April 26, 2005 07:26 AM
There is also a cayenne pepper spray. It goes on "waxy" to stick to the foliage. Said to deter chewing.

WARNING -- VULGAR

human urine is reputed to drive away varmints by smell. They think we are nearby.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Cricket on April 26, 2005 09:20 AM
It's SLUGS!

All yours, Cindy! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by duckie on April 27, 2005 05:26 AM

-
 -
by Fernie on April 27, 2005 04:03 PM
Well so far the dog hair hasn't worked, the birds keep stealing it to line their nests. LOL And I have found mole holes!!! YIKES Time to get serious here....but I am not going to put urine out there. I would rather sleep in the flower bed myself first. LOL

I also was told to put some moth balls around the bed, will they harm the soil or anything?

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by Jiffymouse on April 30, 2005 05:36 PM
do you have kids around? castor bean plants are said to repel moles, and they are pretty...
by Fernie on May 02, 2005 09:28 PM
I have heard of using castor beans but...I have a 6 year old (who would probably be ok)grandson and a 20 month old granddaughter who gets into everything!!! So I don't think I will be planting any castor beans for a few years.

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by RugbyHukr on May 03, 2005 02:32 AM
I have never known mothballs to work on moles. My dad used to put them out every year, when I was young. But that never rid him of them.

When you have moles, it is because you have grubs. The moles come to eat the grubs. Use a grub treatment to get rid of them & the moles will seek food elsewhere.

That method has never failed.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

by Fernie on May 03, 2005 03:35 AM
ok I won't use mothballs. [Smile] However, I don't have grubs. I do however have very nice loamy earthworm-full soil. So are the moles dining on earthworms and finding my flowers as dessert?

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by Fernie on May 03, 2005 03:37 AM
HOWEVER (gee have I said that enough???) I think I will try the cayenne pepper solution. Can't hurt anyway.

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by RugbyHukr on May 04, 2005 04:57 AM
Yes, they do eat worms, too. Usually, a grub infestation occurs, while worms do not really infest. So, when you notice many mole mounds; it is usually grubs.

But, as worms are our friend, we do not rid ourselves of them.

I do not know if they work, but 'skunk lilies' Fritillaria camschatcensis & 'gopher spurge' OR 'mole plant' Euphorbia lathyrus, are reputed to work naturally.

-

by Fernie on May 05, 2005 04:15 PM
good ideas...thanks!

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by tkhooper on May 05, 2005 05:35 PM
Here is an article I found and the flowers are really pretty.

Spectacular Crown Imperials grow up to 3' tall with a circle of cascading flowers topped with a graceful emerald crown. These rare garden treasures are easy to grow, and if mice or moles are a problem in your garden, this may be the answer. The fragrant bulbs repel pests but not people! Fritillaria imperialis Zones 3-8.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: