The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

peach tree curl fungus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Peach Tree| Next thread: Peach Tree Help »
Back to Thread index
by sajechma on May 10, 2006 12:47 PM
I have this fungus on my tree first year of fruit! everything i have read talks about prevention what can I do to try and salvage this seasons fruit ?
by Longy on May 11, 2006 11:24 AM
The fungus gets established while the trees are dormant. So prevention is better.

However, first step is to remove the affected parts of the plant, and prune to allow better air circulation. Clean the secateurs routinely as you go in some methylated spirit to prevent spreading the fungus.
Dispose of all the plant debris. Burn it if possible, then thin out the canopy to allow better circulation. You'll lose some fruit doing this but you may still get some.

If the flower buds have swollen, but not "coloured" yet, you can spray with lime sulphur or copper based spray. (Both are organic fungicides i think, but always be careful with these types of sprays. Follow directions and wear appropriate clothing)
If the flowers are open, spraying them will cause them to drop and you'll get no fruit, so you may be best to wait until the fruit has set before spraying, though this may be too late.

If the fruit has already set, try the same fungal sprays but it's probably too late.

In order to prevent the same re-occurring next year, spray with a copper based fungicide in Autumn after the leaves have fallen. Again, follow the directions and dress appropriately.

-
The secret is the soil.
by obywan59 on May 12, 2006 09:02 AM
I use Soap-Shield from Gardens Alive. I used to have peach leaf curl real bad, but since I started spraying with this, I have had ZERO problems.

I spray in fall, they say at 90% leaf drop, but I was a good bit later than that last year. Spray again in late winter--early spring before growth starts.

Soap-Shield is a copper based fungicide that is effective at lower concentrations of copper than most copper sprays.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by sajechma on May 12, 2006 12:37 PM
tx! I will try . My fruit has set so I will proceed with longly 's approach hopefully I can salvage some this year at least for the kids to enjoy!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Peach Tree| Next thread: Peach Tree Help »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: