The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Aphids eating roses

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: aphids, etc.| Next thread: Aphids on Columbine »
Back to Thread index
by Sregdorain on April 02, 2005 09:52 PM
Help!
I inherited some potted roses in the yard of my apartment, I didn't have time or a place to plant them so I took them to the basement for the winter. when i brought them up to my apartment in march the leaves emerged and so did hundreds of disgusting aphids. I have been spraying them for three weeks, once a week, with some stuff called Fugnicide 3 made by a company called Garden Safe. It says that it controls aphids, But the aphids are still there, leaves are shriveling up,and whole stems are falling off. What can I do to try and save these plants? or is it too late?

thanks
nia

Sregdorain
by obywan59 on April 03, 2005 10:07 AM
Try getting some Safer's soap. That's what I've been using for aphids on my inside plants. Lowe's carries it. Probably Wal-Mart also.
You may have to respray every few days until you gain the upper hand.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by The Plant Doc on April 08, 2005 05:46 PM
A great way to control them chemically is by doing a ground drench application of a insecticde called Merit. This makes the plant inedible to the insects and one application lasts the entire season. If yougo this route make sure you water the plant well for a few days after the application to make sure that it is absorbed into the plant.

Hope this helps

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Sregdorain on April 10, 2005 02:26 AM
Thanks.I think it may be too late for these guys.
All the leaves are gone, but there are buds and if more stems do emerge i will try the soap I think.

Sregdorain
by SharonSEVirginia on April 18, 2005 05:02 PM
For more info on Roses and pests . . .American Roses Society has a wealth of info:

http://www.ars.org/About_Roses/pests_and_pestcontrol.htm

(One of the suggested controls was "Merit" but there are other things you can do that can help, if you read the articles on above link)

I overdosed my Roses trying to control pests and they lost almost all their flowers and leaves. Well, the Rose plants survived the ordeal, but didn't come back to looking healthy again till the following spring. I'm now much more cautious . . .and go to the experts for advice, as they are care intensive plants. Even chemicals that are safe for Roses you need to carefully read instructions. Roses require a lot of maintenance, some more than others, but the results are gorgeous.

Best wishes . . .it's early in the season . . .you should still have Roses!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: aphids, etc.| Next thread: Aphids on Columbine »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: