The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cucumbers

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Cucumbers| Next thread: CUCUMBERS!! »
Back to Thread index
by LandOfOz on May 05, 2006 09:58 AM
It's been raining a lot here recently. I went out to check on my plants and found that all of my cucumbers are turning from a lovely dark green to a pale white. The leaves are not wilting or anything, and other than the color change they seem healthy. Also, these are new sprouts, still got the baby leaves, no real ones yet. The variety is called Sumter. I'm growing a different variety, in a different spot and it isn't turning weird colors, yet. I haven't seen any of those pesky beetles yet either. Can anyone tell me what the heck is going on?? Thanks!
Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by comfrey on May 05, 2006 01:02 PM
I'm not sure without seeing a picture of it, but sounds as if you need to fertilize the one changing color, you can side dress (outside around the plant like in a ring around the plant or hill) with rotted manure, compost or organic matter. If you don't have any of these you can use the WM bag stuff of manure/compost if all else fails. Someone else will be along to give you another possibility soon I am sure.

-
 -
by Rosepetal on May 05, 2006 04:21 PM
Is there a possibility that you had a touch of frost? Cucs will handle a bit of frost, but the top leaves will turn a different color. And they will continue to grow.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by johnCT on May 06, 2006 12:36 AM
With all the rain, it could be powdery mildew also.

John - Zone 6
by LandOfOz on May 06, 2006 03:32 AM
Okay, here are some pics of my cucumbers. Just took 'em this morning! Pic also shows how sandy my soil is! Thanks!
 -

-

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by johnCT on May 06, 2006 07:34 AM
Definitely looks like PM to me. Those are the seed leaves, so the plants should still be OK, but I would pick up a fungicide to treat with.

John - Zone 6
by LandOfOz on May 06, 2006 10:03 AM
Is there any way to naturally prevent/rid myself of PM? If not is there a recommended fungicide? Will it spread to new leaves or other plants? And we definately haven't had a frost since these little guys came up. Thank you!!

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Rosepetal on May 06, 2006 12:51 PM
John's right it looks more like a Fungus and not frost at all.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Longy on May 06, 2006 01:06 PM
Powdery mildew can be overcome by only watering the soil, not the actual leaves of the plant and by doing so in the mornings so the plant isn't wet at night. Good air circulation also helps. The disease thrives in dryer soils in a warm and humid environment. You can spray with fungicides but for cucurbits it's best to avoid sulphur based sprays in warm periods as they can burn the plants.
I can see particles of soil on the leaves of the plants, so the way you're watering them may be the problem. Try soaking the soil from ground level and mulching. Once you get a few sets of leaves, remove affected leaves and the problem will largely take care of itself. It often re-occurs late in the season as the plant reaches the end of its cycle.

-
The secret is the soil.
by LandOfOz on May 06, 2006 01:24 PM
Thanks, Longy for the information! Since I don't think I can make it stop raining anytime soon, I'm kinda stuck with the leaves getting wet for now. Normally, I water the plants in the early morning, so everything has enough time to dry. Now I will also be trying to keep the leaves dry when watering! Now I just need to remember to pick up some mulch for these guys... Thanks again!

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cucumbers| Next thread: CUCUMBERS!! »
Back to Thread index