The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cucumbers

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: cucumbers| Next thread: Cucumbers »
Back to Thread index
by Shawn M on May 05, 2006 01:18 AM
Hello everyone.

Everything I've planted so far has done well (including my upside down tomatoes). I ordered some cucumber seeds (took forever to get them). I started them in my bio-dome, package said 6-10 days. They came up in 4 days, about an inch tall, with only the first set of leaves.

OK, finally my question...I transplanted them to a bigger pot already. Is this okay? I don't want to rush them, but I am trying to get some pepper seeds to germinate, so figured it was best to get them out of the dome.

Shawn
by weezie13 on May 05, 2006 02:15 AM
Just remember one thing about cucumbers,
they resent being moved...
*most seeds' directions say "direct seed"*

(so, if they were little it probably was okay
to move them early.. but I wouldn' keep moving them around alot)
[thumb] [Wink]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by johnCT on May 05, 2006 02:22 AM
Cukes grow so fast you don't normally need to start indoors. And like weezie said they don't transplant very well. I usually just direct sow them in the garden in May.

John - Zone 6
by Shawn M on May 05, 2006 02:35 AM
Thanks Weezie,

I've read a bunch and heard to start them indoors and then transplant. If I messed this up, I will be really disapointed.

The weather is pretty good here, so if I have to start from scratch, I don't think I should loose too much.

Shawn
by weezie13 on May 05, 2006 02:43 AM
If something happens, you can always start more,
like John said, they do grow fast...
They aren't shy once they get going!!!

Keep us posted...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Rosepetal on May 05, 2006 04:18 AM
I'll be planting our cucs directly into the garden too. But with the cold weather here and all the frost we get just about every morning I will put a row cover on them until it stays warm outside or until the frost stops. They grow excellent under the row cover.
Only bad thing is the weeds grow well underneath that too [scaredy]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by weezie13 on May 05, 2006 04:43 AM
Rosepetal,
Try saving some see thru juice jugs, cut the very bottom off, and put those over where you've planted the seeds, *(keep the lids too, and put them on over night but make sure you take them off my mid~morning's sun, or they'll fry in there once they've sprouted)* then inbetween the seedlings put some landscaped fabric or something...
*(I use fences straight up in my garden and put that fabric between them so the weeds don't grow and it holds a bit of the moisture in..)*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Rosepetal on May 05, 2006 05:26 AM
Good idea weezie, thanks.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Danno on May 05, 2006 02:36 PM
speaking of cucumbers. . . i've heard of people growing them vertically into the air on a fence or a support of some sort. . . has anyone tried this method and any input on it plz [tongue]
by Danno on May 05, 2006 02:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn M:
I don't want to rush them, but I am trying to get some pepper seeds to germinate, so figured it was best to get them out of the dome.

Shawn

I know the feeling. . my pepper plants i almost thaught werent even going to sprout and i maybe had bad seeds. . then the next morning they were pokin through the seed starter mix. And from what i've seen. . they grow about 1/2 as fast as my tomatoe plants. . . everything else that i started indoors this year (my first year [wavey] ) has grown like i fed it steroids! [muggs]
by Shawn M on May 07, 2006 04:29 PM
I hear you Danno. My 1st pepper seeds (store bought and from some Vietnamese peppers my wife had) came up real slow compared to my tomatoes. Good to say they are all transplanted.

I figured to try some more peppers and just dried some seeds from peppers I got from the store. They haven't done anything, so I am planning on giving up on them (or maybe give them one more week?).

I'm guessing it may be too late to start anymore from seeds, so if I get the "bug" for more pepper plants (I have 27 going in containers now) I'll just pick some up locally.

Shawn
by Shawn M on May 11, 2006 12:57 AM
Just checking back. The cukes I transplanted have adjusted pretty well. My first time growing them, so I really appreciate everyone's help/advice!!

Shawn
by weezie13 on May 11, 2006 01:57 AM
Cool!!!

I planted some here, wayyyyyyyy earlier than I normally would... several have been hit by frosts,
and the other half have been eaten by slugs...

But the rest are pluggin' along good...
What kind are you growing?????

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on May 11, 2006 02:55 AM
Just sowed a seedless variety called "Diva" here last Friday.

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on May 11, 2006 03:07 AM
Ahhhhhh John, question????
IF they are seedless....... what do you plant???
* [Wink] *

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on May 11, 2006 03:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
Ahhhhhh John, question????
IF they are seedless....... what do you plant???
* [Wink] *

Yeah, I know! I was curious too how the seed was propogated. I can't remember if I read how its done on the net or in the Johnny's catalog(It's a Johnny's variety). It was a complicated process from what I remember. If I find the link I'll post it.

John - Zone 6
by JerseyHeidi on May 24, 2006 06:57 AM
I always string my cucumber vines up the side of my garden fence (I have a major fence to keep the deer out) and they do very well. It saves space for other stuff around them. You have to just keep an eye on the fruit as it forms to make sure it doesn't get tangled up in the fence. I've had more than my share of c-shaped cucumbers!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: cucumbers| Next thread: Cucumbers »
Back to Thread index