The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Green Bean?? Is this possible?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Greek Pasta Salad| Next thread: green beans »
Back to Thread index
by n00bGardener on May 04, 2006 08:27 PM
Just over a week ago at my sons preschool they let the kids plant green beans in plastic cups and bring them home. I put it on the kitchen window sill and watered it every so often and I didnt see a thing. Last night I was doing up some dishes and rested something across the top of the cup and today I went to take it off the cup and the bean had suddenly sprouted an inch+ overnight? Now, it is possible I didnt notice the bean when I placed the object on top but I really think I would have. When my old man got home from work this afternoon I showed him and he too swears there was nothing last night.. It also looks as if it has grown over the 5 hours Ive been at work??????
I know they grow fairly fast, I remember from when I was in elementary school but an inch + overnight??? Is that possible??
by johnCT on May 05, 2006 12:27 AM
Yup, it's possible. They grow fast.

John - Zone 6
by Shawn M on May 05, 2006 12:59 AM
I planted some bush beans, for a couple weeks...nothing. All of the sudden they came up, an inch tall. A few days later, they have some pretty large leaves and the shell of the bean is pretty much gone.

Yup, they grow fast. I figure the soil temp is what got them started; I planted some a week later and they came up a day after the 1st ones I planted.

Shawn
by Deborah L. on May 05, 2006 06:18 AM
NOOb, maybe the little coil they make was just under the surface of the soil, curled up the way they do, and uncoiled. That made me laugh, picturing your surprise.
I love to hear about kids planting and learning about growing things.
Great post ! [thumb] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by comfrey on May 05, 2006 01:13 PM
Once they sprout the do grow fast...I planted a 45' row of bush green beans April 24th...It has rained everyday since I put them in...The rain washed them out of the row it was such a heavy down pour. When it didn't rain for half a day (April 26) I tip toed down the bean row, planning on just poking the beans back down into the mud...But...most of them had a little white sprout...So I picked up a small handful of mud and put on top of the beans sprouts....Its been raining every since and I have a nice row of beans, that you can see...I am so happy they have survived the garden flood of 2006...I still have to plant another row, but going to let these get going first and then put the second row in....Who wants to deal with 90' of beans to pick and put up all at once. If anyone is interest...I'll try to get a picture of them tomorrow in between the rain drops.

-
 -
by Greenthumb newbee on May 07, 2006 05:04 PM
Comfrey Do I know that feeling. I too planted 2 rows of bush beans last year and I found out that they wait for no one. Great thing though is I made some spare moola selling lots of those beans at farmers market.
by Firstyeargardener2006 on May 08, 2006 08:27 AM
Noobgardener,

Yeah it is possible the other day i got so mad because my tomatoe (patio) plant broke that i went out side and planted some green beans or peas. I want to say they are green beans. By the time (about 1 or 2 weeks) I went outside to stick the tomatoe plant in a bucket with dirt on top and 2 pepper plants on top of that I look to my bed and there were 2 new plants i was like ok should that have taken a few more weeks or more.

So yeah those babies grow quick so far.
Keep us posted on them. I want know how big they get and I will keep you guys posted on mines. Mines are about 4 or 5 inches of the ground.

Nicky

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Greek Pasta Salad| Next thread: green beans »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: