The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Prunning for happy Fruit

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Pruning yew (taxus baccata)| Next thread: Prunus cerasifera »
Back to Thread index
by SpringFever on May 04, 2006 10:34 AM
Ok I have heard and read several prunning ways..

Is it true you should only prune 2 year old growth for better production?

Then I have heard that you should prune woody parts?

and to prune late winter to prevent weeping?

The biggest question is how exactly do you know which is which and where to begin??

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by DeepCreekLake on May 04, 2006 12:09 PM
Pruning should be done when a tree is dormant (late winter is ideal for most fruit trees), for a few reasons. First, you can see what you have to deal with, and what you are doing, when a tree has no leaves on it. Second you decrease the risk of spreading diseases (esp for Pears with Fireblight, as it is at its worse in Spring!) Finally pruning cause the next bud below where you cut to become the dominant bud, meaning it will branch out. You can control the way a branch grows by cutting above a bud tha points in a direction you may want a branch to grow. Prune a tree for light penetration, as it makes a tree fruit better, as well as too remove dead, weak, or crossing branches. It is said a pruned tree puts out more growth than a tree that is not pruned. Another thing to look into is branch spreading, which can open a tree up without taking out good branches. Branch spreaders work well for pears as they tent to grow upwards instead of out, but are ideal for any fruit tree you want to open up.
by SpringFever on May 04, 2006 12:32 PM
Thank you !! that answers a great bunch of my questions!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pruning yew (taxus baccata)| Next thread: Prunus cerasifera »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: