The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

unidentified houseplant pest

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Amy R. on March 01, 2005 01:26 AM
I have searched the web for this little bugger, but so far haven't come up with anything. I brought home a Ming Aralia a while back, and much to my dismay, noticed about 30 slow moving creatures living on the plant. There bodies are round, off-white and shiny, probably 2 centimeters in diameter, with teeny tiny legs. Naturally, I nuked them with Safer, and haven't seen them on the Aralia since.
Lo and behold, I went out to pick some rosemary last night, and I saw the same exact bug on the plant, except for these are brown colored.
I could start a pest museum with all my infestations. Any ideas?
by Cricket on March 01, 2005 01:38 AM
Amy, my only suggestion would be to give the little buggers directions to Cindy's Slug Bar! [Big Grin] (Sorry, Cindy, that just had to come out! [Embarrassed] [kissies] )
by Jiffymouse on March 01, 2005 01:50 AM
i'm moving you to plant pests...
by mike57 on March 01, 2005 07:30 PM
I could be wrong but it sounds like Termite larva.Termites will move into your Garden mulch if theres a lot of wood in it.thats just my guess.a photo would help.
here is a site that might help you.
http://www.pestdepot.net/pest_id.htm

your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by Amy R. on March 02, 2005 01:16 AM
hey mike,
thanks for the link, but i didn't find a match(as far as i can tell)
i just found some dead ones, but they don't show up when i take a pic. i looked at them through the microscope, and now i think it might be a perfectly round cocoon? i dunno, they are so small, like a pin head, it's hard to tell. i just thought it was weird that i had white ones inside, and brown ones outside.
by afgreyparrot on March 02, 2005 04:31 AM
quote:
cocoon
Remember that movie? Aliens. [Frown]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Amy R. on March 02, 2005 05:29 AM
oh noooo! but cocoon was a happy movie, right? RIGHT? darn, those things are everywhere. well, if i don't show up here in the next few days, you'll know why... [scaredy]
by Amy R. on March 14, 2005 08:26 PM
Okay, time for someone to go back to school, or at least actually THINK before posting. I made a major goof on my original post. [Embarrassed] The pests are 1 millimeter, not 1-2 centimeters, and thank goodness for that, as if I found a bug that was 2 centimeters on my plant, I would have run screaming for the hills! [shocked] So...would that help with identifiation in any way? [dunno]
by Cricket on March 15, 2005 05:25 AM
Amy, what about maggots? [shocked] [scaredy] [Razz]
by Amy R. on March 15, 2005 05:53 AM
No way, uh huh, no how. I don't do maggots. If I so much have even thought that it could have been remotely possible that perhaps they were maggots, the whole plant would be bye-bye.
But thanks for trying!!! [kissies]
by Amy R. on March 15, 2005 09:03 PM
Two words...
(I am an)Imbecile & (duh, it's) Aphids. [Confused]
by sachis2112 on March 15, 2005 11:28 PM
LOL!!! I was going to ask if they were aphids... but I though, "Nah, Amy knows what aphids look like."
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
by Amy R. on March 16, 2005 12:53 AM
NO! Not funny, not funny at all! Okay, well, it's kinda funny. I'm such a dork; I have only seen black aphids before. Although, I'm stoked you thought that I knew, that means I'm faking it pretty well! [Wink]
by sachis2112 on March 16, 2005 07:12 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

OK... what's particularly funny to me is that I've only seen green aphids but I knew they were other colors... and since you'd seen two colors, that was my first thought. But like I said, I figured you HAVE to have seen one at some point... OK. Maybe it wasn't THAT funny. Maybe I'm just losing my mind.... [Roll Eyes]

-
by Buglady on March 16, 2005 07:32 AM
well sorry i didn't see this post sooner. On Ming the 2 main pests are aphids and mealybugs. Aphids usually attack the new growth. I also just had an outbreak of aphids on one of my rosemary varieties. I am testing a new product for house plants from Pharm Solutions on it. So far so good. I am also testing it on soft scale... we will see how it goes!

Good luck and keep on top of the aphids... or they will come back [Smile]

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by The Plant Doc on March 19, 2005 03:48 PM
It sounds like you may have pear slugs, which take on a different color depending on what they happen to be eating at the time. Not all that common as a indoor pest, but also not unheard of either.

Here is a link:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/INSECT/05560.html

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc

Active Garden Forum