The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Tomatoes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by ChristinaC on May 02, 2006 03:11 PM
Here's half of my tomatoes, the other half are still little babies, (started them a couple weeks ago).
So far I'm pleased. Though, I would like to see the stems a bit thicker. If I could get that room cooled down a little, I think it would solve the problem but I just can't. I have 2 fans blowing and the window open at all times but it seems to get so warm in there! It'd help if I left the door open but last year when I did that..my rabbit got in there...and let's just say he found "Bunny Utopia"!

-

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 02, 2006 03:24 PM
Those look fantastic Christina.....

Don't worry about the stems..

Get some more pots *if you're not planting them outside yet* and snip off that bottome set of leaves, and re~plant, right up to there..

They'll do great!!
Honest!!!

I justttttttttttttttt planted my seeds yesterday
for my mate'rs...
8 different kinds...YIKES..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by comfrey on May 02, 2006 03:27 PM
I think they look fine and from the picture the stems look good also, what kind of tomato are they? Some of my other kinds have stems like that also and are sturdy even with the thinner stems, some varieties just have thinner stems. I also had the same problem with the temperatures for mine this year, I even had the window open with a fan pulling in cooler air and for a couple of days The thermometer still read over 80 degrees, It took almost a week to get the temp down to 70 which is still a little too warm once you have plants that big in my opinion.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on May 02, 2006 03:28 PM
I'm not too worried about the stems. When I pot them up (which will be soon), I always plant them good and deep.

8 different kinds? Cool! How many plants are you planning to grow Weezie?

-
 -
by ChristinaC on May 02, 2006 03:36 PM
There's two kinds there.
There's a "Giant T & T Monster"..the tomatoes are suppose to get up to 2lbs in size. And the others are San Marzano Gigante...a huge paste tomatoe.
Have you taken any recent pic Comfrey? I'd love to see your progress.

-
 -
by comfrey on May 02, 2006 03:49 PM
Most of my main crop tomatoes are already in the garden, and the rain has beaten them up pretty good, but they are still standing I lost one that got broken off at the ground level by the heavy rain and wind, but have more to replace it with...If it is not raining I try to get a picture tomarrow for you. The ones I have planted already are Brandywines, but I still have black plum (paste type) yellow pear (small pop in your mouth type) Lillians Yellow Heirloom ( large yellow) Dr Whyche's yellow (which is large beef steak sized yellow) & German Red strawberry which is a smaller tomato.

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 02, 2006 04:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
8 different kinds? Cool! How many plants are you planning to grow Weezie?
I planted Rutgers, Yellow Pear, a Cherry (*the one's the size of ping~pong balls), Delicious (*can get up to 7lb tomatoes), Beefsteak VFN, and Marglobe...

and two other kinds, are comin' from the church
*my mom bought a flat of some stuff from their fund raiser*

I planted at least 12 of each kind, but not sure if all seeds will take, you know how that goes..
But I will usually only use about 6 or 8 plants of each.. then I will send some over to 3 of the neighbors *2 right next door and one down the street* the extra's I can't use....
Works out pretty good...

As it is, those tomatoes would/could take up my entire raised garden space...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on May 02, 2006 04:15 PM
Did you say which kinds you were growing Christina?

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Rosepetal on May 03, 2006 08:30 AM
Christina
How about getting that wire support for them once you plant them outside or in bigger pots. That way they won't fall over either when they bloom and grow tomatoes.
I even use those wire supports for my flower bushes, like rose, peonies and others. With the wind in our area I had to do something to support the plants.
Just an idea for you.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by ChristinaC on May 03, 2006 10:43 AM
I use cages when I plant my tomatoes into my garden. I'm not concerned at all about them.
They are by far from falling over!! It's just a temperature thing that's all. I have to pot them up one more time before I put them in my garden and I always plant them good and deep.

-
 -
by comfrey on May 03, 2006 02:40 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of mine..These are Brandywine that have been beat to death by the heavy rain we have had and also strong winds. Notice the the torn leaves...With a little sun they will be fine in few days, I am not too worried about them.

-

-

-

-
 -
by johnCT on May 04, 2006 01:36 AM
Love those potato-leaved mater plants comfrey!

Christina, tomatoes love warm weather, why do you want the room cooler? How warm is it? Those plants look great!

John - Zone 6
by ChristinaC on May 04, 2006 02:19 AM
John, when starting tomatoes indoors, young tomatoes grow best around 65F. It's a lot warmer in there than 65.

Comfrey, your tomatoes look great...I know they'll be fine with you taking care of them. How many plants are you growing all together?

-
 -
by johnCT on May 04, 2006 03:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
John, when starting tomatoes indoors, young tomatoes grow best around 65F.
Interesting. I've never heard that. Where did you hear that?

John - Zone 6
by comfrey on May 04, 2006 05:23 AM
[thumb] [clappy] Christina is right about the temperature's.

Here is a quote from the seed starters handbook:
quote:
Once the plants are growing above ground, they need less warmth then required for germination. The majority of vegetable plants that germinate most rapidly at 70-80 degrees do well when grown at 60-70 degrees, with night temperatures about 10 degrees lower. Exceptions are lettuce and onion which flourish when temperature drop to 50 degrees.....Plants grown indoors in warm rooms put on weak, spindly, sappy growth that is difficult to manage under lights and to prepare for the transition to colder outdoor temperatures. Start seeds warm and grow seedlings cool.
Here is tomato specific quote:
quote:
To grow your own seedlings, plant seed indoors in flats six to eight weeks before your frost-free date. Keep them as close as possible to 80 degrees F.(27 degrees C)for prompt germination. Transplant at least once, into larger flats with two inches between plants, setting the seedling deeper than it grew before, especially if it has gotten leggy. Tomato seedlings growing indoors should be kept near 60 degrees F (16 degrees C) to prevent overly rapid, difficult-to-harden growth.

-
 -
by johnCT on May 04, 2006 07:50 AM
Is that the book by Nancy Bubel? I've read that 65-70 is the optimal growing temp for seedlings. I guess it depends on who you want to listen to. [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by comfrey on May 04, 2006 10:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by johnCT:
Is that the book by Nancy Bubel? I've read that 65-70 is the optimal growing temp for seedlings. I guess it depends on who you want to listen to. [thumb]
Yes that is the author of the book John....I am sure 70 degrees is not too hot, but each person has thier own growing methods, it just happens I agree with Chrsitina and this book backs up how we each like to grow our tomato plants...Many other sources I am sure will say something else, So I just offered one view point and a reference to that view point is all.

How are your tomato plants coming along John??? Any pictures? We all learn from trial and error alot of times, and each type of tomato may recquire different temps for best results, so I don't think there is any set rule.

-
 -
by Danno on May 04, 2006 01:47 PM
Just outa curiousity christy. . . how old are those? Mine are so dinky and going on 3 weeks old now [dunno] maters are approx 3" tall and peppers are about 1-1.5"

Heres a picture of them. . i'm also concerned about my pepper plants due to the size of them [tears]

Peppers
 -

Toms
 -

Repotting the toms this weekend. [flower]
by johnCT on May 05, 2006 12:42 AM
I agree with you comfrey. You make very good points.

quote:
Originally posted by comfrey:

How are your tomato plants coming along John??? Any pictures?

They are doing great! Thanks for asking. I've had zero germination on a couple varieties unfortunately, including Sudduth's BW.. [Eek!] [tears] , so that's kinda dissappointing. Otherwise, the others are really getting crowded in their flat. I was planning on potting them up this weekend and may put a few out in the garden too. No recent pics, but will try to snap some tonight if I think about it.

John - Zone 6
by ChristinaC on May 05, 2006 01:09 AM
Danno, I think my plants are about 5 weeks old..isn't that awful...I'm not even sure. I think I started them early April. Yours look fine..I wouldn't be concerned. Just be patient...all of a sudden, they'll just boom!

Here's some of my peppers...I have waaaay too many growing...well over 30 plants. [nutz] I'll have to give some away. The peppers in the pic are green peppers, my Jalapenos are the same size but my Thai Chilis are a little behind..but they're catching up.

-

-
 -
by ChristinaC on May 05, 2006 01:18 AM
I just found where I posted when I started my seeds. It was March 28..so yeah, they're about 5 weeks old. Here's a pic of my tomatoes and peppers taken April 26, (4 weeks old).

-

-

I think yours look just fine...post another pic in another week...you'll see...they grow so fast once they get going.

-
 -
by Shawn M on May 05, 2006 01:23 AM
Wow...they look amazing! The peppers I started don't even compare to those. I'm sure they will turn out fine, hopefully mine will too.

Shawn
by weezie13 on May 05, 2006 02:10 AM
Christina,
Are those containers just regular ole styrofoam cups for like coffee????

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by ChristinaC on May 05, 2006 02:16 AM
Yep...regular ol' styrofoam...cheap...work great. I just poke holes in the bottom. When I transplant up again...I use 16oz cups..those plastic beer cups. Get 72 of them at the dollar store for obviously a dollar.

-
 -
by peppereater on May 05, 2006 03:44 AM
Yup, those look great. I don't worry if my pepper plants are small...they don't ever really take off until planted in the garden, and then only when soil temps get very warm. Then they go great guns.
As to germination, and temps afterward...We have all the windows open a lot in the spring, and my seedlings get everything from 60 to 80 degrees. As I begin to harden them off, they may get even warmer some days...this year we've had 90's already. I push them much harder than recommended when hardening off, they're outside and in full sun in a week. They never get leggy or have problems, indoors or out, I just keep the lights right down on them, and no additional heat, while they're indoors. I do use additional heat for germination, and I have found that temps over 75 or 80, up to 85, insure much better germination for peppers. Tomatoes germinate a few days earlier at 75 or 80 than at 70. That's my experience.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by comfrey on May 05, 2006 01:29 PM
Dave is right about peppers being slow until they are in the ground. Peppers are alot slower then tomatoes to grow, but that is really good as that makes the pepper seedling get a sturdier stem.

Danno...Your seedlings look fine, just be sure to keep them close to the light so they don't get spindley.

Christina...Wow..your pepper plants look a lot like the ones I still have in the house...Which means they look great!!!!

John...I sure hope you rember to get a picture...

-
 -
by johnCT on May 06, 2006 12:34 AM
I remembered...not much to look at though. Most are doing great. Have 0 germination on a couple though, incl BW Sudduth. Check out the foliage on Silvery Fir Tree in the third pic. So cool. No other tomato like it.

-
 -
 -

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on May 06, 2006 02:43 AM
John,
Do you do like one or two of lot's of varieties???

P/S Nice lookin' 'maters'.... [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on May 06, 2006 03:42 AM
Yeah weezie. A few seeds of each in each cell. Is that what you mean?

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on May 06, 2006 06:11 AM
Yes, I was looking at your sheet below and
noticed you have a ton of varieties,
but didn't think you had that many in the 6 pks...

*I just put my seeds into the soil in the greenhouse, yesterdayyyyyyyy!!*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on May 06, 2006 06:20 AM
I've thinned many out and will be potting up many this weekend. I'm also going to put a few in the garden this weekend. Long term forecast looks fairly promising. [clappy]

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on May 06, 2006 06:37 AM
I'm tryin' the cut off juice jugs,
they are workin' out greattttttttt!!! [Cool] [thumb] [grin] [clappy] [flower]

And I think it is cutting down the ole snails
eating my new borns...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on May 06, 2006 07:38 AM
I just killed three slugs near my hostas yesterday and something else is eating my lettuce. [Mad]

John - Zone 6
by comfrey on May 06, 2006 03:20 PM
Wow John [thumb] Those look great! And that is very interesting foliage on the Silver Fur, I'll have to look that one up. Thank You for sharing your tomato plants with us [kissies] Since you have such a large variety...Are you planning to try and save seed from each one? If so how are you going to do it...Bag them???

-
 -
by johnCT on May 07, 2006 03:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by comfrey:
Since you have such a large variety...Are you planning to try and save seed from each one? If so how are you going to do it...Bag them???
Absolutely! I'll be bagging blossoms on most, yes. Should have plenty to share in the fall. [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by Deborah L. on May 07, 2006 03:08 PM
What's bagging blossoms?

-
 -
by comfrey on May 07, 2006 03:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by johnCT:
Absolutely! I'll be bagging blossoms on most, yes. Should have plenty to share in the fall. [thumb]
[clappy] Should I send my wish list now or later... [Big Grin] Just kidding, but in the fall I my want to check with you on seeds.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: