The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I might as well ask... WHAT'S GOING ON???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Tipster_Chad on May 01, 2006 08:51 AM
Not anything real important... just wondering something. See, 3 days ago I planted all kinds of veggies in an indoor starter kit. Some that take 4-6 days to germinate, and some that takes 10-12 days. Anyway, it's only been 3 days and just about ALL of them are coming up!!! What's happening??? Is it ok for them to sprout up so fast?

-Sarah ZONE 5

"But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully"
2nd Corinthians 9:6
by SpringFever on May 01, 2006 08:57 AM
Your lucky and had perfect conditions..They must of been great seeds !

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by hjolicoeur on May 01, 2006 09:59 AM
Wow, your lucky!

I had pretty good luck with mine this year too. I'm usually have with 50% germination, this year has been about 95%!

Everyone must be selling really good fresh seeds this year!

~Heidi
by Tipster_Chad on May 01, 2006 10:07 AM
That reminds me... what is the term "germination rate" based on? It makes me think of something like this: if you planted 100 seeds, and 90 of them germinated, germination rate would be 90%. But I'm guessing I'm off a bit...

I'm glad to hear that there's nothing wrong with my babies (plants), but the reason I planted them early was because I was giving them a week to germinate and another week to grow before planting...now they have TWO weeks to grow!!! I might have to get some bigger pots!!!

-Sarah ZONE 5

"But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully"
by SpringFever on May 01, 2006 11:05 AM
Your spot on about the germ .. Rate Sarah ... some slow growth after germ'ing so you might be fine!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by 'Sparagus on May 01, 2006 12:25 PM
Sarah,

All my seeds came up WAY faster than expected. That was the beginning of the month and all look amazing! I have tomatoes, okra, hot peppers, broccoli, and moonflowers. They came up in like 3 days and I was expecting 7 minimum based on the packets!

Karen [flower]
by Tipster_Chad on May 01, 2006 12:40 PM
Wow... I guess maybe the difference was starting them indoors. We had always planted directly outside and they'd germ at the MAXimum or, sometimes, not at all. (watermelons never come up here, so I'm starting them inside)

-Sarah ZONE 5

by n00bGardener on May 01, 2006 01:22 PM
Im jealous.. Mine are randomly popping up here and there, they are sure taking their sweet time..
by Rosepetal on May 01, 2006 05:21 PM
My seeds all germinated great too this year. I'd say I got at least 90% of all my seeds in plants now. Maybe it was a great year for seeds this year. It feels good to see them all grow so well, especially if you're a first time dealer in this area of life. I'm loving every minute of it.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: