The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

raised garden beds?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Raised Beds (weezie?)| Next thread: raised garden ideas? »
Back to Thread index
by t_d_guy on December 20, 2005 07:23 AM
i wanted to build a set of raised flower beds.wut i the best(cheap)material to use? [dunno]
by loz on December 20, 2005 08:54 AM
I'm moving this to landscape trials and triumphs where it will get more replies.

laura
by cinta on December 20, 2005 10:50 AM
Cannot get any cheaper than using tires.

http://www.noble.org/Ag/Horticulture/Rubber/Instructions1.htm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by comfrey on December 20, 2005 11:07 AM
That is an interesting idea cinta, but I thought rubber from tires was not good when planting edible things???? It may be fine for flowers though.

-
 -
by Longy on December 20, 2005 02:22 PM
Tyres leach cadmium into the soil. (Apparently). I believe this is a carcinogenic, but then isn't everything. Google for more info.

Bales of hay are a cheap alternative. Like this. Though the finish may be a little untidy for a front feature garden.

You don't need a retainer if you're only raising the bed say 4-6 inches or so. Just cut a V trench around the bed to stop the grass growing into it and slope the face of the bed back 45 degrees. Then mulch heavily.

-
The secret is the soil.
by cinta on December 20, 2005 06:08 PM
I do not know if it is safe for edibles but the stores are selling shredded tires as mulch now. They say it saves the environment and weeds do not grow through,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by t_d_guy on December 20, 2005 09:25 PM
i am going for good looks. [thumb]
by Longy on December 21, 2005 02:25 AM
the stores are selling shredded tires as mulch now.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hmm. It depends on who you want to believe regarding the cadmium (heavy metal). Some sites are saying it is absorbed into food crops, others say there is no pollutant in tires.
----------------------------
i am going for good looks.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I guess it comes down to budget then. You have timber, bricks, blocks, continuous pour concrete edging, etc. How high do you need to go?

Brick seconds are useful and usually cheap, or even free from a demolition site. Even if they are all different colours they can be 'bagged' with coloured cement when finished. This produces a clean looking, durable finish.

-
The secret is the soil.
by t_d_guy on December 21, 2005 07:03 AM
that is the route i was thinking.i have gotten bricks in the past for free.
thanx alot!
by t_d_guy on December 21, 2005 07:05 AM
oh and one more question.could i use the "slabs"(you know, the bark section from the cut wood at the saw miils) instead of timbers?how long would they last?

[thumb] thnx again
by peppereater on December 21, 2005 08:00 AM
Hi, guy. I have used slabs. I'll give you more info on using them if you'll tell us all a few more things about you, we still don't feel like we know who you are. It's nice to see you really thinking something through and asking a thoughtful question. What part of the country are you in? What kind of yard do you have? What trees, shrubs are in your yard? Where will the raised beds go? Are the slabs pine, spruce, cedar or something else? [thumb]
by comfrey on December 21, 2005 12:41 PM
Well as far raised beds or bed liners...Here in Arkansas, Rocks are free for the taking, So every bed I have is lined with hand picked rocks, and if you really want to work at it...flat rocks stacked are very attractive. I would opt for No tires in garden beds to be on the safe side, like was stated there is enough other stuff in the ground without added more to it.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Raised Beds (weezie?)| Next thread: raised garden ideas? »
Back to Thread index