The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New Asparagus Plants Help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by SpringFever on April 30, 2006 01:48 AM
I got some asparagus plants and have heard I am not suppose to let it grow? Is That true?? If so why do you buy it? Why are you suppose to keep it clipped back? [dunno] [Eek!]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by peppereater on April 30, 2006 03:04 AM
Where'd you hear that? Absolutely do not cut them this year.
Was there anything on the packaging that said whether they were 2 year old plants?
Normally, they're sold as 2 year old plants. Leave them to grow for the whole season, then next year you can cut the largest spears, basically finger sized, but always stop harvesting when the spears coming up are smaller than that. They need to grow big to produce energy for the next year's crop.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by always2shy on April 30, 2006 04:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by peppereater:
Where'd you hear that? Absolutely do not cut them this year.
Was there anything on the packaging that said whether they were 2 year old plants?
Normally, they're sold as 2 year old plants. Leave them to grow for the whole season, then next year you can cut the largest spears, basically finger sized, but always stop harvesting when the spears coming up are smaller than that. They need to grow big to produce energy for the next year's crop.

Plus you will have asparagus for years to come. I once lived in an old farmhouse that had an aspragus bed that was over 25 years old. Never tasted anything better.
by 'Sparagus on April 30, 2006 12:29 PM
The foliage is really pretty too, when you let it grow. You'll know why there is something called an asparagus fern!

Karen [flower]
by SpringFever on May 01, 2006 02:24 AM
I was reading somewhere in here some thread that said don't let them get big the first year?? [dunno]

-
 -
by obywan59 on May 01, 2006 05:04 AM
No, peppereater's right, you definitely need to leave them alone the first year. Let them get as big as they want. The more growth, the stronger they'll be.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Deborah L. on May 01, 2006 05:17 AM
Would it be possible to have an "asparagus bed" in a half barrel?

-
 -
by SpringFever on May 01, 2006 06:47 AM
Should work deb but they need to be 18 inches appart

-
 -
by SpringFever on May 01, 2006 06:47 AM
Cool thanks All I will let them be!!

-
 -