The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Patio Paving Slabs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Patio brick cleaning| Next thread: Patio Project Update »
Back to Thread index
by Carole on September 18, 2005 08:31 PM
I have recently laid a new patio, which got covered in leaves and rose petals during a recent thunder storm. On leaving them till dry before sweeping up, I now find that they have stained the slabs.

Does anyone know of a method to remove this staining.

Many thanks

Carole
by tamara on September 18, 2005 11:29 PM
Carole, you can get an acid based stain remover for patios at your local hardware store. You just pour on and scrub, it's like a detergent. I had the same problem so I painted my concrete this year with concrete paint.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by papito on September 21, 2005 10:31 PM
I use muriatic acid, you know, the one that is used for swimming pools. I use it diluted [1 part water + 1 part muriatic acid]. Note: when diluting [muriatic] acid pour the acid slowly into the water.

I pour the solution to the stained concrete, scrub it or let it sit for 20 minutes or so, then clean with water using garden hose or pressure washer.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Carole on September 26, 2005 03:24 AM
Thank you both for your suggestions, but would the acids not kill the plants surrounding the patio when you rinse it off?

Carole

Carole
by MaryReboakly on September 26, 2005 01:26 PM
Hi Carole! Welcome to the forum [Smile]
You'd be surprised what vinegar and water will do for cleaning up outside! I washed the (white aluminum) siding on my house with a bucket of 1 part vinegar to about 5 parts water and a broom! It worked wonders completely removing the yucky looking mildew. I'd suggest trying that before using chemicals that can harm your soil, plants and the environment overall! [Wink] Let us know how it turns out!

-
 -
by auntnene on September 27, 2005 09:22 AM
Hi Carole,
We poured a new patio this year and it has a low spot where they didn't get it quite level. It's not visable to the naked eye but when it rains, I have a puddle [Frown] It always leaves it discolored because of the pecan tree leaves and shells. I use a vinegar and water solution too and it does wonders!

Please God, make me as good as my cat thinks I am!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Patio brick cleaning| Next thread: Patio Project Update »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: