The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Blackberry plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Rebecca150 on April 27, 2006 03:24 PM
I have access to blackberry plants and can take cuttings but I don't know how many should be enough. One typical blackberry plant produces about how much blackberries?
by tkhooper on April 28, 2006 02:23 AM
Those things are invasive so I hope you are going to use some kind of barrier where you plant them.

Well I very seldom need to move from one spot in order to fill an average size mixing bowl. I'm not sure how much help that is but it's all I know.

-
 -
by Rebecca150 on April 28, 2006 03:03 AM
I'm glad you mentioned that. I had forgotten how vigorous they are!

Should I plant in a raised bed or a LARGE sunken pot? Or did you have a different barrier in mind?
by obywan59 on April 28, 2006 04:06 AM
If you plant them in a bed surrounded by grass, mowing will keep them inbounds.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by dodge on April 28, 2006 01:05 PM
Rebecca,

We have access to wild blackberries in our Pennsylvania wooded areas. Grab a bucket and go pick.

no one buys bushes here.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Pianolady on April 28, 2006 03:54 PM
I have a large blackberry patch surrounded by grass. It has worked out pretty well. I started out with 2 blackberry starts 6 years ago, now my patch is in two rows, each about 12 feet long (all from the original two). I ran heavy landscape material & mulched between the rows. They found their way under the landscape material to create a 2nd row on the other side (actually this was by accident, but it worked very well).

I still have about 8 quarts of blackberries in my freezer from last year, couldn't get them all used. I usually fill two of the largest bowls I can find each time I go out, then ask the neighbor to come pick some! Just remember, blackberries produce on second year's growth when pruning. Here's a pic to give you an idea how heavy they can produce fruit (they are still red, haven't ripened yet). I have to pick on days with a calm wind because of the thorns. Definitely not a low maintenance adventure because of the thorns (but blackberry jam is the best).
 -

-
by SpringFever on April 28, 2006 04:17 PM
ohhhhhh I want some of those yummmmy Ya never see them in this neck of the woods! remember eating them right off the bush on the west coast though mmmmm

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Michael15r on April 28, 2006 04:56 PM
Ahhh.. I don't like that plant.. It can be very hard to take care of. It doesn't need water to survive!
I have so many little sprouting growing every where in my garden. I pull them out every time I see them. Because last year they took over my only access to the water hose..then these spiders with circled webs took over, then I was scared!

A Sunflower Garden #7
Check out my website.
by hjolicoeur on April 29, 2006 01:29 AM
And here I am trying desprately to find both raspberry & blackberry bushes!

I make alot of jam, and it gets expensive to buy the fruit. I usually make at least 2 dozen of each plus strawberry too.

Does anyone have plants they want to get rid of??

~Heidi
by Amigatec on April 29, 2006 02:15 AM
I was at Lowes recently and they were selling Raspberry bushes. I bought my thornless Blackberries from Henry Fields. Bought 3 Chester, and 3 Black Satin. Plus 1 Apache from last year.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by SpringFever on April 29, 2006 02:37 AM
I seen some at wal-mart..

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by hjolicoeur on April 29, 2006 09:30 AM
I just picked up 50 strawberry plants for $8!

But no luck with finding cheap raspberry and blackberry bushes....

Oh well.... I guess 1 lucky find for the day is all I get. I'm happy with that!

Now off to figure out what to build my starwberry beds out of....

~Heidi

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: