The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

A question about English Ivy...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: A question about avocados| Next thread: a question about lillies »
Back to Thread index
by spahre on August 04, 2005 10:43 AM
We have recently bought a new house north of Atlanta Georgia. The backyard has a slight slope down to a creek. There are four trees in the back that are covered by English Ivy all the way to the canopy.

I actually have more than one question but the first is, Is the English Ivy going to kill the trees and should we have it removed? And if it is going to kill the trees how do I remove it?

I would be appreciate any help. =)
by LMT on August 04, 2005 03:53 PM
It's a killer but it looks nice. Just cut it back so it doesn't overtake anything and you should be alright.

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.
by BFVISION on August 06, 2005 06:32 AM
Depending on the extent of the ivy growth, I would remove as much as possible because it will rapidly move to other areas and smother out the trees.

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest
by mrsmessy on August 06, 2005 10:06 AM
When we moved to our home (also north of Atlanta) one of the neighbors had just planted English Ivy to cover a slope. After 10 years it had filled 3 backyards. One neighbor tried to kill it with weed killer and ended up killing 3 trees - the ivy is still there. We agressively mow it and that seems to work as well as anything.

-
Bev

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: A question about avocados| Next thread: a question about lillies »
Back to Thread index