The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pickled Okra

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Pickle problems| Next thread: Pickled onions »
Back to Thread index
by Belleoftheball on May 02, 2005 07:11 PM
We had so much okra in the garden last year, that I didn't plant a single okra seed this year. We had bucket after bucket after bucket full. I gave it away. Fried it. Made bumbo. Pickled it. Mixed it with tomatoes and corn and canned it. And last but not least, we have 1/4 of an upright freezer full. More in the little deep freeze.

If there are any okra volunteers that spring up this year, I'm going to yank the dear little things out by the roots and throw 'em in the cow pasture and pretend I never saw them. Since I've gone through so much grief over an over-abundance of okra I'll tell you how to pickle some if you get in a mess like I did last summer.

Pickled Okra

3 1/2 lbs. okra
1 quart white vinegar
2 T salt
2 T black peppercorns (smash 'em a little)
2 t red pepper flakes
1 t dill seed
1 t dry mustard
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
4 whole cloves
1 t Tabasco sauce

Now this is a 'hot' recipe. Don't use as much Tabasco and red pepper flakes if you don't want it hot. You can halve the amount of black peppercorns too.

Wash and drain the okra. Put it in ice water and soak it for 2 hours. This will make it stay crisp!

Next, make the brine mixture. Get a big pot and mix the vinegar, salt, peppercorns, red pepper flakes, dill seed, mustard, garlic, onion, cloves, and Tabasco.

Bring this to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Pack the okra in hot stereilized jars and fill with your brine mixture to within 1/4 inch of the top of the jars.

Wipe the rims dry and put on the lids. Set aside to seal. Store in a cool dark place. Refrigerate at least 1 day before serving.

That's how we do it and it's a winner.

Belle

-
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
by connie mounsey on May 03, 2005 02:59 PM
We had too much okra last year too. I pickled some and the rest is in my freezer...nothing is better than black eyed peas and fried okra!
Connie

Without faith life has no meaning.
by Sue Z on May 03, 2005 08:14 PM
Hi Belle, [wayey]

How ya' been gal? [muggs]

Great seeing you here again. [flower]

Sue z
LOVE's pickled ANYTHING! [Big Grin]
[wayey]

-
"WHEN IN DOUBT ... DON'T"
by Sue Z on May 03, 2005 08:19 PM
"nothing is better than black eyed peas and fried okra!"

Ooohhhhhhh, NOW you're talkin', Connie!! [flower] YUM!!!! [thumb]

For lunch today I had black eyed pea's cooked with ground sirloin, bell pepper and onion and other spices and it was to die for! [Love]
[wayey]

-
"WHEN IN DOUBT ... DON'T"
by weezie13 on May 04, 2005 02:54 AM
My mom wanted to GROW OKRA,
I got a package of seeds,
and they sprouted,
I was pretty proud of that fact,
as I've never grown them from seed before..
But they didn't grow from very good for me. [Eek!]

I really wanted to grow them...
because I saw the flower on them and
thought it was a very pretty flower..

Weezie

Hey, Thanks for the chuckle Belle!!!
quote:
If there are any okra volunteers that spring up this year, I'm going to yank the dear little things out by the roots and throw 'em in the cow pasture and pretend I never saw them.
I say that with my tomato volunteers every year..
**I end up savin' them...* [Roll Eyes] [Wink] [Big Grin] [Embarrassed]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Dixie Angel on May 04, 2005 05:03 PM
Ugh! Okra cooked in any way, shape, or form for me is too slimy to eat! I have tried it several times and cannot get past the goo. We did, however, plant some in the garden for my aunt this year. [grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by adirondack on May 08, 2005 04:00 AM
""""We had so much okra in the garden last year, that I didn't plant a single okra seed this year. We had bucket after bucket after bucket full. I gave it away. Fried it. Made bumbo. Pickled it. Mixed it with tomatoes and corn and canned it. And last but not least, we have 1/4 of an upright freezer full. More in the little deep freeze.""""
sounds like what happens with zucchini around here- i'd about swear ya gotta lock your car to prevent someone from piling generous supply into it..lol

-
Take time to enjoy life,especially the natural/simple things.
We only have one life to live,we weren't put here to stress out.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pickle problems| Next thread: Pickled onions »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: