The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Let there be light

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Let's talk about worms| Next thread: Let us Lettuce »
Back to Thread index
by Winston on April 10, 2006 11:35 PM
This year will be my first year starting from seed and now that my tomatoes have germinated, I was curious how many hours a day should I have the grow lights on them? I also have acorn squash, cukes, and romaine lettuce in the same tray (none of which have shown themselves as yet)

Thank you for your help!

Compost... Beautiful Compost
by johnCT on April 10, 2006 11:42 PM
I put mine on for 16 hours a day.

John - Zone 6
by Winston on April 10, 2006 11:44 PM
Thanks johnCT!

I would not have been that aggressive on my own accord. Great to know. And now that the lights are on... do i remove the heat?

by ChristinaC on April 11, 2006 12:10 AM
Yes, remove the heat. And be sure to keep your plants within a couple inches from the light. Good luck Winston!

Christina

-
 -
by Winston on April 11, 2006 12:16 AM
Thanks... I am afraid I am going to need it. What makes this even more ecxiting and nerve-racking for me is that these are seeds that I saved from last year's crop.

I must be a challenge to keep EVERYTHING a couple of inches from the light when i have different heights.. including some seeds that have not germinated yet. .., i got trouble on my hands... [dunno]

by ChristinaC on April 11, 2006 12:21 AM
Don't put the ones that haven't germinated under the light. And you can use anything to get your plants close to the lights. Check out johnCT's thread here in the Fruits and Vegetables section titled "Finally finished my project". You'll see my set-up. I use anything I can find to raise and lower my plants.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Let's talk about worms| Next thread: Let us Lettuce »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: