The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need suggestions for plants to block out road traffic...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by SN on April 07, 2005 01:58 AM
I think, I hope, that Spring is really here...

So, now we begin the real work. We moved to a new home last fall.

There is a lot of landscaping to be done, but this is our priority - something to block out the road noise. We did not want to put up a fence, but would like to find some kind of plants, shrubs most likely, but a type that will not have to be pruned much or at all, and that will grow taller and wider and be almost like a "plant fence".

Does that make sense?

Thank you for any ideas you may have. The planting zone would be 6, both A and B.

-
 -
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony... ~Mahatma Gandhi

Rocking through the night
All is silent...Southern Cross

by Jiffymouse on April 07, 2005 04:00 AM
i know exactly what you are talking about. i am working on growing azaleas for that very reason!
by sam314 on April 07, 2005 05:08 AM
There are many things that can be done. First arborvites work pretty well and come in all shapes and heights. Also, if you don't mind tall, pine trees and firs might be an option. There are also many hedges that can be grown. Then there are the wonderful lilacs. Blocks road noise and you get beautiful flowers! Can't think of anything else right now! Have fun!

God Bless,
Sam
Prov. 3:5-6
by frustratedattimes on April 07, 2005 02:32 PM
If you want a year around hedge, try leyland cypress, or any of the cedar type evergreens.

If you do not mind losing leaves(and sound barrier) in the winter,

burning bush
purple plum hedge

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by tkhooper on April 07, 2005 02:37 PM
I have to go with the evergreens. Less pruning and great sound barrier all year.

-
 -
by obywan59 on April 07, 2005 04:56 PM
Arborvitas are good hedges, but the deer love them. Someone posted a picture here last year of a tall hedge that had been completely stripped of foliage from the ground up to about four feet. Just last week I saw a couple of arborvitas on my way into work with the same problem.

You might want to consider Leyland Cypress instead. They are very similar in form and speed of growth, but I've never seen any deer damage. My parents have been having problems with deer nibbling a lot of their plants, but they haven't touched their young Leylands nor their neighbors tall ones which they have planted as a screen.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Dixie Angel on April 07, 2005 05:01 PM
I have been reading SN's post with lots of interest. We have a junk man neighbor next door and we have been wanting to plant a "screen" between us so we don't have to see his property.

Thank you, Terry! You have saved me from making a mistake with my choice of screening. I was going to order a bunch of arborvitas, but I really don't want to feed the deer out here! [Big Grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 07, 2005 05:54 PM
I have seen where some home owners will bring
in some truck loads of top soil and make a hill,
like out closest to the roadside or sidewalk area.
Each design could be of the owners, no set rule..
Some have all the piles into the corner and in the shape of a triangle like, tall in the middle and tapered to the ends, and things planted on them.
Some is one long pile in front and then plantings on top....shrubs, trees, etc...

The piles of dirt cut down on the sound, give a wee~bit of privacy, and have lovely plantings on it that add beautification to the neighborhood.

I wish I could find a picture, I looked all morning and must not have the right word for the google searches... I thought they were called Burm's...

Anyone know what I'm talkin' about????

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on April 07, 2005 06:08 PM
Berms

Yes there is a lot on the web about them.

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 07, 2005 06:30 PM
Well that's the answer.......
I had the wrong spelling....
DUH!

Here's a picture of something to the effect
of what I was talking about..
Berm for noise control

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on April 08, 2005 03:29 PM
Love you Weezie

-
 -
by SN on April 08, 2005 03:44 PM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Wow!

I have not been able to get to The Garden Helper, it keeps saying page not found. I am finally here!

These are great suggestions!

I will keep you posted.

-
 -
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony... ~Mahatma Gandhi

Rocking through the night
All is silent...Southern Cross

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: