The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

unsightly septic feild

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Unknown species...help!| Next thread: Unusual weather »
Back to Thread index
by sidheblooms on March 17, 2005 03:56 PM
being a first time septic tank owner.... does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do to hide my unsightly mound which is my septic? it just got emptied before i bought the place, and the ground isnt settled where they dug it up, so i have this mound of bright green sod. of course it is right there below my beautiful deck, where i am sure i will be spending many-a-afternoon looking over all my flourishing hard work.

i was thinking about doing a deck extention, and having that as my lower deck. i could build a structure that is movable, so incase i need any work done, it would only be a matter of moving the 'raft-like' deck outta the way.

but maybe there is someone here who has done somthing else creative or seen something done

thanks for any suggestions!

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi
by Jiffymouse on March 17, 2005 05:48 PM
well, what i have seen done (and have right now myself), and it works pretty good, is to use the cheap/cute edging and then throw wildflower seeds on it. make it a wild "bird/butterfly" garden of sorts. no mowing, no visiblitly of how much higher it is than the other part of the yard, and cheap to fix if it needs dug up again. you definitely don't want to extend your deck over it, cause sure as you do, you'll have to dig it up again!
by tkhooper on March 17, 2005 06:10 PM
had a spectic tank where I lived before, the flowers loved it. Lived there for several years and never had a problem, used rid-x to assist the spetic tank in doing it's job until I found out yeast would work just as well and was alot cheaper. Depending on the size of the tank and number of people in the house and weather you have a garbage disposal it may be a non-issue. The mound will probably sink they frequently do in washington state where mine was. 750 gallon tank, 2 people, no garbage disposal and using the rid-x/yeast and I might as well been on the city sewer.

-
 -
by sidheblooms on March 22, 2005 05:38 PM
thanks for the tips everybody. i love the idea of a wildflower patch! i will need to be creative in the fence...due to the fact that we have a huge deer population here, and my dogs arent on duty 24 hours a day (hard to get good help)

i was wondering what rid-x was? is it organic? does it help with decomposition?

one day, i am planning on bringing in a composting toilet to the scene. i love the idea of bringing everything back to the earth. we use absolutly no chemicals in our household..and nothing goes down the drain unless it is bio-degrabable. soon i will be using humanure for compost. but i think i will be using it for my trees and non-edibles only [Cool]

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi
by tamara on April 09, 2005 12:04 AM
I had the same problem. I put a white picket fence in an open v shape around the back of it and filled it in with flowers. What a difference.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by tkhooper on April 09, 2005 12:41 AM
The rid-x isn't but the yeast is. Just start it as usual and then pour it down the drain at night before you go to bed.

-
 -
by frustratedattimes on April 10, 2005 06:27 AM
Buttermilk is a good natural alternative, as well as the yeast.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by tkhooper on April 10, 2005 01:49 PM
one nice thing about a septic tank the flowers love them.

-
 -
by hisgal2 on April 11, 2005 03:12 AM
Do you have a Sam's Club nearby?? They have bulbs on sale right now. I got 120 Gladiolus bulbs and 150 Anemone bulbs for $14 each. Maybe you could scatter the bulbs around??

I also heard about a carpet that you unroll and there are already wild flower seeds sewn into the carpet!!! You just unroll and water!? [flower] [shocked] [flower]

-
 -

-
by hisgal2 on April 11, 2005 03:16 AM
There was a reason I mentioned those specific bulbs. The Gladiolus grow 3-5 feet depending on how much sun they get and the Anemone grow about a foot. So you put the Gladiolus in the middle (highest part) of the mound and the Anemone around it....it'll totally mask the hieght of the mound.

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Unknown species...help!| Next thread: Unusual weather »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: