The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help! Woodpecker!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Help! with Shamrock| Next thread: Help - birch trees under attack! »
Back to Thread index
by boxmonkey on March 12, 2005 09:13 AM
I know this probably isn't exactly the right place to ask but I don't know where else to go...

I have a woodpecker problem. Every morning, shortly before I'm "supposed" to be getting up (around 10:30AM because of my work schedule), I hear what sounds like a woodpecker having a go at my roof.
At first I thought I was dreaming it because I'd hear it and wake up and never hear it again. But my girlfriend says that she's heard it too, so it's not just me.
I've looked around and I can't see any damage from the outside, but then I have no idea where the little bastard is even working.
I know he's not attacking the walls or the windows because my house is brick.

What do you guys suggest? Any experience with repelling a woodpecker? I'm just afraid he's going to destroy my roof. I'm also somewhat concerned that this may mean I've got a bug problem...but surely the woodpecker is accelerating any problem that might be there...

Thanks!

Custom Weathervanes - hand made
by mike57 on March 12, 2005 10:49 AM
Hi [wayey] Buy your self a big plastic owl and hang it up close by this might deter the woodpecker.i use to live in a house tralior the sideing looked like wood grain and a BIG woodpecker would wake me up abought day light.wasnt funny at the time but now that i look back on it. it is i didnt need a alarm clock [Big Grin] .i bought a big plastic owl and put in a tree next to the house and it worked for me. hope this helps you.your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by mike57 on March 12, 2005 10:55 AM
Hi [wayey] i also found this site for you.
http://www.woodpeckerproblems.com/install.htm
hope it helps.mike57

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by boxmonkey on March 14, 2005 02:32 AM
I'll have to get some scary eye thing like that and try it out. I'm not even sure which side of the house to put it on though. [Razz]

Custom Weathervanes - hand made
by tkhooper on March 15, 2005 06:15 PM
I'm so sorry but reading your post I have tears running down my cheeks from laughing so hard. Fortunately mike has given you excellent suggests for getting rid of the problem bird. But if that doesn't work get it a bus ticket to triange virginia. I'll pick it up at the station, I live upstairs. And I love birds even pesky ones. [Cool]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help! with Shamrock| Next thread: Help - birch trees under attack! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: