The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Privacy hedge in wet area

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Privacy for a balcony| Next thread: Privacy issue??? »
Back to Thread index
by jeciron on February 14, 2005 01:14 PM
I'm in central Pa and I need to put in a privacy hedge. The area where it will be planted is shaley, poor soil, very wet in the spring and when there is heavy rain. The plants that volunteer in that area are poplar, sumac, teasal, and something like Virginia creeper.
Ideally I'd like to find something that would be dense,(impassable), and reach a height of 10-12 feet fairly quickly. Either deciduous or evergreen would be fine. I have to admit I'm not sure of the zone here, but you can just barely grow peaches.
I've tried a few things, willows grow well, but get out of control, russian elm doesn't work. Any ideas would be helpful. Thank you.
by Jiffymouse on February 15, 2005 03:21 AM
welcome to the garden helper [wayey] jeciron!

the only things i can think of are going to be invasive if they grow as fast as you are wanting them to. the first thing that comes to mind would be a type of bamboo. love that stuff, and when it gets started, it is totally impenetrable!
by Longy on February 15, 2005 09:10 AM
As i'm not even in the same hemisphere as you i can't suggest species, but in a similar circumstance i went for a drive around the area to see what was here in similar conditions. There are boggy areas everywhere in nature, even in deserts, and the things that grow best in these areas are the things that grow well naturally in those types of places. So my suggestion is to go for a drive, have a look at the low areas in your region and find out what plants are doing well that fit the criteria you're looking for. Here i found a few melaleucas were the answer. I planted them. Watered once and walked away. They're over a metre high now and have a great red flower. No hassle. No chance of them becoming a weed or getting out of control and i know they'll do well because i'm working with nature as my ally.
by tamara on February 16, 2005 04:20 PM
Cedars, they love wet boggy areas. There are so many different varieties and shades. You can leave them grow upright fully or hedge them if you want. I have three in the back corner of my lawn where it is boggy and they are growing beautifully.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by suzydaze on February 16, 2005 08:33 PM
willow trees live in wet poor soil too. The weeping ones would give some privacy. they are easy started. Just clip some cuttings from a grown tree and use some root toner and stick in the ground. they will grow enough in about 3 years to start the weeping.

other than that caster bean is the only other thing I can think of that grows fast and they re seed. They are posionus though, if you have small kids might not want to plant those.

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by frustratedattimes on February 19, 2005 04:44 AM
I agree with tamara,, Cedar is an excellent choice as is cypress. If you top them they will spread out and fill in nicely creating a barrier. They will still continue to grow upwards, you just need to keep them trimmed so that they do not get to tall. I am using japanese cedar and Arizona Cypress where I want that barrier, be it privacy or for noise.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Privacy for a balcony| Next thread: Privacy issue??? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: